Inverse trigonometry - Finding solutions

I think I'm able to understand this concept now.Thanks a lot again for the help! :DIn summary, the solution set of the equation $$2\arccos(x)=\text{arccot}\left(\frac{2x^2-1}{2x\sqrt{1-x^2}}\right)$$ is A) (0,1). When manipulating equations involving inverse trigonometric functions, it is important to consider the principal ranges and ensure that the solution falls within their overlap. In the case of the given equation, the overlap is only satisfied when x is greater than 0, leading to the solution set of (0,1). In a similar problem, where the equation is ##\
Saitama

Homework Statement

Which of the following is the solution set of the equation
$$2\arccos(x)=\text{arccot}\left(\frac{2x^2-1}{2x\sqrt{1-x^2}}\right)$$
A)(0,1)
B)(-1,1)-{0}
C)(-1,0)
D)[-1,1]

Ans: A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by rewriting LHS in terms of ##\arctan##.
$$2\arccos(x)=2\arctan\left(\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x}\right)$$
Using ##2\arctan(y)=\arctan\left(\frac{2y}{1-y^2}\right)##, it can be further simplified to
$$\arctan\left(\frac{2x\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}\right)=\text{arccot}\left(\frac{2x^2-1}{2x\sqrt{1-x^2}}\right)$$.
Hence, both LHS and RHS are identical. It can be concluded that they satisfy all values of x in their domain. The domain is (-1,1)-{0} i.e answer is B. But the given answer is A.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Through such manipulations, there's always a risk of introducing extra solutions. Since all offered answers include continuous ranges, it was almost inevitable that simplification would lead to tautology. There are values where the original equation makes no sense. Clearly x = 0 and x >= 1 are problematic. Also bear in mind that arccos(x) is a defined function that only takes one of the y values that satisfy x = cos(y), likewise arccot.

haruspex said:
Through such manipulations, there's always a risk of introducing extra solutions. Since all offered answers include continuous ranges, it was almost inevitable that simplification would lead to tautology. There are values where the original equation makes no sense. Clearly x = 0 and x >= 1 are problematic. Also bear in mind that arccos(x) is a defined function that only takes one of the y values that satisfy x = cos(y), likewise arccot.

I still don't see how to eliminate the extra solutions. :confused:

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

arctan is defined to be in (-π/2,π/2)

arccos (and arcsin) is defined to be in [0,π)

where they don't agree, you get an error "translating" from one to the other
Pranav-Arora said:
$$2\arccos(x)=2\arctan\left(\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x}\right)$$

eg that isn't true for x = -1/√2 …

the LHS is 2*3π/4, but the RHS is 2*-π/4 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
eg that isn't true for x = -1/√2 …

the LHS is 2*3π/4, but the RHS is 2*-π/4 :wink:

I see that for the above to be possible, x must be greater than 0. This does give the right answer but how am I supposed to think this way. I mean I always face the problem of this "principal range" and end up with the wrong answer. In this case, can you please explain how should I have approached the problem? Thank you!

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
Pranav-Arora said:
… how am I supposed to think this way. I mean I always face the problem of this "principal range" and end up with the wrong answer. In this case, can you please explain how should I have approached the problem?

When the principal ranges differ, the solution has to be in the overlap.

If it isn't, it can't be a solution …

eg in this case, if x < 0, the the RHS is obviously negative, but the LHS can never be negative! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:When the principal ranges differ, the solution has to be in the overlap.

If it isn't, it can't be a solution …

eg in this case, if x < 0, the the RHS is obviously negative, but the LHS can never be negative! :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim! :smile:

I have one more problem similar to this. Instead of creating a new thread, I will post it here as I think its related to this "principal range" problem.

Here goes the question:
Solution set of the equation, ##\arccos(x)-\arcsin(x)=\arccos(\sqrt{3}x)##
A)is a unit set
B)consists of two elements
C)B)consists of three elements
D)is a void set

The equation is defined when ##-1/\sqrt{3}\leq x \leq 1/\sqrt{3}##. I can rewrite ##\arcsin(x)## as ##\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})##. I guess here I have to apply the condition that ##x>0## for this to be true. Correct?

Now using ##\arccos(a)-\arccos(b)=\arccos(ab+\sqrt{(1-a^2)(1-b^2)})##
$$\arccos(x\sqrt{1-x^2}+|x|\sqrt{1-x^2})=\arccos(\sqrt{3}x)$$
Since x>0, |x|=x. Solving further gives x=0 and 1/2 which suggests that answer is B and this is incorrect. Where did I go wrong this time? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I can rewrite ##\arcsin(x)## as ##\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})##.

No, if x < 0, then arcsin < 0 but ##\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})## > 0 :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
No, if x < 0, then arcsin < 0 but ##\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})## > 0 :wink:

Do I write ##\arcsin(x)=-\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})## for ##x<0##?

Pranav-Arora said:
Do I write ##\arcsin(x)=-\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})## for ##x<0##?

yes, that seems to work :smile:

oh, and you can combine the two into

##\arcsin(x)=sign(x)\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})##​

tiny-tim said:
yes, that seems to work :smile:

oh, and you can combine the two into

##\arcsin(x)=sign(x)\arccos(\sqrt{1-x^2})##​

Great, thanks a lot tiny-tim! :smile:

1. What is inverse trigonometry?

Inverse trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the angles or sides of a triangle when given certain trigonometric ratios. It is the opposite of regular trigonometry, which involves using known sides and angles to find unknown values.

2. How do you find solutions in inverse trigonometry?

To find solutions in inverse trigonometry, we use inverse trigonometric functions such as arccosine, arcsine, and arctangent. These functions help us to find the angle or side measure that corresponds to a given trigonometric ratio.

3. What are the common inverse trigonometric functions?

The common inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin⁻¹), arccosine (cos⁻¹), and arctangent (tan⁻¹). These functions are the inverses of the corresponding trigonometric functions and are used to find the angle measure in a right triangle.

4. How do you solve for the unknown side using inverse trigonometry?

To solve for the unknown side using inverse trigonometry, we first identify the trigonometric ratio that is given. Then, we use the inverse trigonometric function for that ratio to find the angle measure. Finally, we use the angle measure and the known side to set up a trigonometric equation and solve for the unknown side.

5. What are the important things to remember when using inverse trigonometry?

When using inverse trigonometry, it is important to remember that the inverse trigonometric functions have restricted domains and ranges. Also, we must use the correct inverse function for the given trigonometric ratio and pay attention to the units of measurement. Additionally, it is important to check for extraneous solutions when solving equations involving inverse trigonometric functions.