Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invert a triple composite function p(q(r(x)))

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    Hey,
    Let ##(f,g) \in B^A## where ##A## and ##B## are non-empty sets, ##B^A## denotes the set of bijective functions between ##A## and ##B##.
    We assume that there exists ##h_0: A \rightarrow A## and ##h_1: B \rightarrow B## such that ##f = h_1 \circ g \circ h_0 ##.
    This implies that ##g = h^{-1}_1 \circ f \circ h^{-1}_0##, according to my teacher, but why is that?
    We have that ##h^{-1}_1 \circ f = g \circ h^{-1}_0 ##, but how do I proceed from that?

I have drawn a graph with sets and arrows representing functions such that going from ##A## to ##B## via ##h_0##, ##g## and ##h_1## is the same as going from ##A## to ##B## via ##f##. I then manipulated this graph a little while maintaining the proper relations between the sets, which showed that going from ##A## to ##B## via ##g## is the same as going through (in order) ##h^{-1}_0##, ##f## and ##h^{-1}_1##, but this is hardly a proof at all.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Using magic and superstition, if we begin with the equation [itex] h(x) = h(x) [/itex] and apply "equal functions" to both sides of that equation then we can get to [itex] h^{-1}( f ( h(x)) = g(h^{-1}(h(x)) = g(x) [/itex]. The problem is how to justify that procedure.

Your materials may have proven that procedure as a theorem. We'd need to see those materials in order to find an easy proof. Are you asking for some "slick" way of proving the result?

A knockdown-drag-out roof could begin: "Consider the two functions [itex] A(x) = h^{-1}f( h(x)) [/itex] and [itex] B(x) = g(h^{-1}(h(x)) [/itex] ."

If [itex] A(x) = y [/itex] then show that [itex] x = h((f^{-1}(h^{-1}(x)) [/itex]. Use that expression for [itex] x [/itex] to show that [itex] B(x) = y [/itex] also. In a similar manner show that if [itex] B(x) = y [/itex] then [itex] A(x) = y [/itex]. Argue that [itex] A(x) [/itex] and [itex] B(x) [/itex] have the same domain and range. Thus they are identical functions.

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3
    Hi and thanks for the response. What I meant was of course that ##h^{-1}_1 \circ f = g \circ h_0##, it seems though that you did not notice my typo. Also, could you use subscript notation, it is not clear which of ##h_1## and ##h_2## you mean. Cheers

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. Nov 23, 2012 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Using magic and superstition, if we begin with the equation [itex] h_0^{-1}(x) = h_0^{-1}(x) [/itex] and apply "equal functions" to both sides of that equation then we can get to [itex] h_1^{-1}( f ( h_0^{-1}(x)) = g(h_0(h_0^{-1}(x)) = g(x) [/itex]. The problem is how to justify that procedure.

Your materials may have proven that procedure as a theorem. We'd need to see those materials in order to find an easy proof. Are you asking for some "slick" way of proving the result?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook