Primitive recursive functions/sets

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary: And if we had at the set $\forall$ instead of $\exists$ we would tasks the product so that it is equal to 1 only if all x satisfy this...Yes, this would be correct.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have to show that the following functions and sets are primitive recursive:
  1. $$f(x,y)=x+y$$
  2. $$f(x,y)=x \cdot y$$
  3. $$sign (x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    1 &\text{ if } x=0\\
    0 &\text{ if } x>0
    \end{matrix}\right. $$
  4. $$x \dot - y=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    x-y &\text{ if } x \geq y\\
    0 &\text{ else }
    \end{matrix}\right. $$
  5. $$f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    1 & \text{ if } g(x)=0 \\
    0 & \text{ if } h(x)=0
    \end{matrix}\right. \\ g,h: \mathbb{N}_0\rightarrow \mathbb{N}_0 \text{ primitive recursive and } \forall x: g(x) \cdot h(x)=0, g(x)+h(x)>0 $$
  6. $$f(y)=\sum_{x=0}^y g(x) \text{ if } g \text{ is primitive recursive } $$
  7. $$f(y)=\prod_{x=0}^y g(x) \text{ if } g \text{ is primitive recursive } $$
  8. $$\{y \mid \exists x \leq y : x \in A\}, \{y \mid \forall x \leq y : x \in A\} \text{ if } A \text{ is primitive recursive}$$
I have done the following:

The basic primitive functions are the constant, the succesor $S(x)$, the projection $P_n^m(x_1, \cdot , x_m)=x_n, m \geq n$.

1. $$f(0,y)=P_1^1(y) \\ f(x+1,y)=S(P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y))=S \circ P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y)$$
  2. $$f(0,y)=0 (\text{ constant } ) \\
    f(x+1, y)=(x+1)\cdot y=x \cdot y +1 =S(P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y))=S \circ P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y)$$
  3. $$sign(0)=1 ( \text{ constant } ) \\
    sign(x+1)=0 (\text{ constant } ) $$
  4. $$f(x,y)=x \dot - y \\ f(0,y)=0 (\text{ constant } ) \\
    f(x+1,y)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    x+1-y=(x-y)+1=S(P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y))=S \circ P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y) &\text{ if } x+1 \geq y\\
    0 &\text{ else }
    \end{matrix}\right. $$
  5. $$f(0)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    1 & \text{ if } g(0)=0 \\
    0 & \text{ if } h(0)=0
    \end{matrix}\right. \\ \Rightarrow f(0) \text{ constant } \\
    f(x+1)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    1 & \text{ if } g(x+1)=0 \\
    0 & \text{ if } h(x+1)=0
    \end{matrix}\right. \\ \Rightarrow f(x+1) \text{ constant } $$
  6. $$f(0)=\sum_{x=0}^0 g(x)=g(0)$$ which is a primitive recursive function, since $g$ is a primitive function
    $$f(y+1)=\sum_{x=0}^{y+1} g(x)=\sum_{x=0}^y g(x) + g(y+1)=f(y)+g(y+1)=sum(f(y),g(y+1))$$
    where $sum(x,y)$ is the first function $f(x,y)=x+y$.
    But this is not of the form $h(y,f(y))$ What could I change?? Should I use a composition?? But with which function ??
  7. $$ f(0)=\prod_{x=0}^0 g(x)=g(0)$$ which is a primitive recursive function, since $g$ is a primitive function
    $$f(y+1)=\prod_{x=0}^{y+1} g(x)=\left (\prod_{x=0}^y g(x) \right ) \cdot g(y+1)= f(y) \cdot g(y+1)=prod(f(y), g(y+1))$$
    where $prod(x,y)$ is the first function $f(x,y)=x \cdot y$.
    But this is not of the form $h(y,f(y))$ What could I change?? Should I use a composition?? But with which function ??

Is this correct?? (Wondering) Could I improve something?? (Wondering)

For the last one we have that a set is primitive recursive iff its characteristic function is primitive recursive, right??

Could you explain to me how I could apply this?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
For the last one we have that a set is primitive recursive iff its characteristic function is primitive recursive, right?
Yes.

mathmari said:
Could you explain to me how I could apply this?
For $\exists$, take the sum of the values of the characteristic function on all $0\le x\le y$, for $\forall$ take the product (or vice versa).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
For $\exists$, take the sum of the values of the characteristic function on all $0\le x\le y$, for $\forall$ take the product (or vice versa).

Why does this stand? Could you explain it to me?

mathmari said:
Why does this stand?
What do you mean by "this"? I did not make any claim. I suggested taking bounded sums and products. Have you tried it? Have you considered some examples? What if you have a singleton set $A=\{2\}$ and you take a product $\prod_{x\le 5}\chi_A(x)$ where $\chi_A(x)$ is the characteristic function of $A$?

Also, in my experience one usually says, "This statement holds" rather than "This statement stands".

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What do you mean by "this"? I did not make any claim. I suggested taking bounded sums and products. Have you tried it? Have you considered some examples? What if you have a singleton set $A=\{2\}$ and you take a product $\prod_{x\le 5}\chi_A(x)$ where $\chi_A(x)$ is the characteristic function of $A$?

Also, in my experience one usually says, "This statement holds" rather than "This statement stands".

Do we take the sum becasuse we want that there exists at least one x in A that smaller or equal to y?

And if we had at the set $\forall$ instead of $\exists$ we would tasks the product so that it is equal to 1 only if all x satisfy this property?

Yes. The details depend on how the return values of a characteristic function correspond with truth values. Some textbook take 0 to be true and 1 to be false, some 0 to be false and anything non-zero to be true and so on.

mathmari said:
$$f(x,y)=x \dot - y \\ f(0,y)=0 (\text{ constant } ) \\
f(x+1,y)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
x+1-y=(x-y)+1=S(P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y))=S \circ P_2^3(x,f(x,y),y) &\text{ if } x+1 \geq y\\
0 &\text{ else }
\end{matrix}\right. $$
Making a choice is not a part of the definition of PRF. I recommend defining the left inverse of $S$ first.

mathmari said:
$$f(0)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & \text{ if } g(0)=0 \\
0 & \text{ if } h(0)=0
\end{matrix}\right. \\ \Rightarrow f(0) \text{ constant } \\
f(x+1)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & \text{ if } g(x+1)=0 \\
0 & \text{ if } h(x+1)=0
\end{matrix}\right. \\ \Rightarrow f(x+1) \text{ constant } $$
Again, it is not clear how you implement choice. I believe $f(x)=\operatorname{sign}(g(x))$.

mathmari said:
$$f(0)=\sum_{x=0}^0 g(x)=g(0)$$ which is a primitive recursive function, since $g$ is a primitive function
$$f(y+1)=\sum_{x=0}^{y+1} g(x)=\sum_{x=0}^y g(x) + g(y+1)=f(y)+g(y+1)=sum(f(y),g(y+1))$$
where $sum(x,y)$ is the first function $f(x,y)=x+y$.
But this is not of the form $h(y,f(y))$
Yes, it is, for a suitable chosen $h$.

1. What are primitive recursive functions?

Primitive recursive functions are a type of mathematical function that can be defined recursively and are computable by a Turing machine. They are used to represent computable mathematical problems in a precise and systematic way.

2. What is the difference between primitive recursive functions and general recursive functions?

The main difference between primitive recursive functions and general recursive functions is that primitive recursive functions have a limited set of rules for recursion, while general recursive functions can have arbitrary rules for recursion. This means that primitive recursive functions are a subset of general recursive functions.

3. How are primitive recursive functions used in computer science?

Primitive recursive functions are used in computer science to analyze and classify the computational complexity of algorithms. They are also used in the study of computability and complexity theory, as well as in the development of formal models of computation.

4. What are primitive recursive sets?

Primitive recursive sets are a type of set that can be defined using primitive recursive functions. These sets are used in formal languages and automata theory to represent languages and grammars that can be recognized by deterministic automata.

5. Can all computable functions be represented as primitive recursive functions?

No, not all computable functions can be represented as primitive recursive functions. There are computable functions that cannot be defined using the limited set of rules for recursion that primitive recursive functions have. These functions can only be represented using more powerful types of recursive functions, such as general recursive functions or μ-recursive functions.