Investigating dsp2 & sp3 Configurations in Ni2+ Complexes

In summary, the labels t2g and eg only apply to octahedral geometries. Ni2+ compounds have either sp3 or d2 configurations depending on the geometry. Tetraammine nickel compounds do not seem to exist.
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
Does Ni2+ have different t2g eg configuration for wfl and sfl?
Relevant Equations
no equations
Capture.PNG

I was expecting Ni2+ to be present also in the answer as it can give dsp2 and sp3 configuration.
[Ni(CN)4]2- and [Ni(NH3)4]2+ have dsp2 and sp3 respectively, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two things. First, the labels t2g and eg only apply to octahedral geometries. Are your nickel compounds octahedral?

Second, does [Ni(NH3)4]2+ exist on its own? I'm familiar with the hexaammine and the mixed ammine with other ligands (all octahedral). I can't say I've ever encountered a tetraammine nickel compound.

TeethWhitener said:
Two things. First, the labels t2g and eg only apply to octahedral geometries. Are your nickel compounds octahedral?

Second, does [Ni(NH3)4]2+ exist on its own? I'm familiar with the hexaammine and the mixed ammine with other ligands (all octahedral). I can't say I've ever encountered a tetraammine nickel compound.

Well so it means we are only considering octahedral compounds here? Then it is always sp3d2 for Ni2+ compounds.
Then what are the energy levels involved in tetrahedral geometry, if they are not t2g and eg?
I did search for [Ni(NH3)4]2+ and found that people asking questions on whether it is para or diamagnetic, it's hybridization etc. Are you sure it doesn't exist?

I did the same search and mostly found references to homework problems (not actual scientific papers). I did find one paper on a tetraammine nickel compound with a complicated molybdate counterion. The IR spectrum was interpreted as having two short and two long Ni-N bonds. I suspect most tetraammine nickel (II) compounds are probably hexacoordinate (octahedral/JT distorted) in reality.

Also, yes generally these discussions only happen in the context of octahedral complexes, since the ligand field splitting in tetrahedral complexes is always too small to affect spin states.

I should clarify: octahedral compounds will have different electronic structures from tetrahedral and square planar compounds. So a square planar nickel compound very well may have a different spin configuration from an octahedral compound. But for the purposes of this particular question, it’s pretty clear (at least to me) that they were asking about octahedral complexes alone.

Also, generally for tetrahedral complexes, t2 and e are more accurate labels reflecting the group symmetry (there is no gerade symmetry in the complex). This is moot for nickel square planar complexes, which do not have the 3-2/2-3 d-orbital splitting characteristic of octahedral or tetrahedral geometries.

Likes Gourab_chill and jim mcnamara
TeethWhitener said:
But for the purposes of this particular question, it’s pretty clear (at least to me) that they were asking about octahedral complexes alone.

Yes, I missed out that point earlier. I need to strengthen my concepts on CFT :)

1. What is the purpose of investigating dsp2 & sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes?

The purpose of this investigation is to better understand the electronic and molecular structures of Ni2+ complexes. By studying the dsp2 and sp3 configurations, we can gain insight into the bonding, geometry, and reactivity of these complexes, which can have important implications in fields such as catalysis and materials science.

2. How do you determine the dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes?

The dsp2 and sp3 configurations can be determined through a combination of experimental techniques, such as X-ray crystallography and spectroscopy, and theoretical calculations. X-ray crystallography provides information on the molecular geometry, while spectroscopy can reveal the electronic structure. Theoretical calculations, such as density functional theory, can also be used to predict and analyze the configurations.

3. What factors influence the dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes?

The dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes are influenced by a variety of factors, including the ligand environment, steric effects, and the electronic properties of the ligands. For example, bulky ligands can favor the sp3 configuration due to steric hindrance, while ligands with strong π-donating or π-accepting abilities can promote the dsp2 configuration.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes?

Understanding the dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes has numerous potential applications. In the field of catalysis, this knowledge can aid in the design of more efficient and selective catalysts. In materials science, it can help in the development of new materials with specific properties. Additionally, this understanding can also have implications in biological systems, as Ni2+ plays important roles in enzymatic reactions.

5. How can studying dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes contribute to the overall understanding of coordination chemistry?

Studying dsp2 and sp3 configurations in Ni2+ complexes can contribute to the overall understanding of coordination chemistry by providing insights into the factors that influence the geometry and reactivity of coordination compounds. This knowledge can also be applied to other transition metal complexes, leading to a deeper understanding of the principles that govern coordination chemistry and potentially aiding in the development of new compounds with desired properties.