Looking for someone to check my chem. questions.

• Thread starter peck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary: The number of hybrid orbitals is equal to the number of orbitals you put in. For the second question think about how many electrons are in each molecule.
peck
1Q. Explain why you would expect a BeF2 molecule to be linear but a SF2 molecule to be angular?

A. Beryllium fluoride would be linear because each of the two valence electrons in a beryllium atom is shared with an electron from a fluorine atom. Using the valence electron-pair repulsion theory applied to two electron pairs, we would perdict that the angle between the fluorine atoms to be 180deg. The central atom uses all of its bonding electrons to bond to two identical atoms.
SF2, when two atoms are bonded to a third, the resulting molecules are angular if unbonded outer electrons are present in the central atom. The two fluorine atoms would repel at a 109deg.

2aQ. How would you designate the hybrid orbitals formed by "mixing" one d, one s, and two p orbitals?

A. The hybrid orbitals formed would be dsp2.

b) How many hybrid orbitals would be formed by the "mixing"?

A. The number of hybrid orbitals formed would be 4. The total number of orbitals you put in are equal to the number of hybrid orbitals you get.

3Q. Explain why C20H40 is a solid @ 25degcel, while C4H8 is a gas @ 25degcel?

A. C20H40 is a larger compound having more atoms than C4H8 therefore having more electrons. The forces in C20H40 are a lot greater that C4H8 making C20H40 harder to break down resulting in a higher boiling point that C4H8.

Am I on the right track here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
peck said:
C20H40 is a larger compound having more atoms than C4H8 therefore having more electrons. The forces in C20H40 are a lot greater that C4H8 making C20H40 harder to break down resulting in a higher boiling point that C4H8.

Am I on the right track here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melting is not about breaking down, it is about intermolecular forces.

For the first question think in terms of hybrydization.

A. Yes, you are on the right track. The size and complexity of a molecule can greatly affect its physical properties, such as boiling point. C20H40 is a larger molecule with more atoms, leading to stronger intermolecular forces and a higher boiling point compared to C4H8. Additionally, the presence of double bonds in C4H8 can also contribute to its lower boiling point compared to C20H40. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or need clarification, don't hesitate to ask for help.

1. How can I find someone to check my chemistry questions?

There are several ways to find someone to help you with your chemistry questions. You can ask a classmate, join a study group, or seek help from a tutor or teacher.

2. How do I know if the person checking my questions is qualified?

Make sure to ask for their credentials or qualifications before allowing them to check your questions. Look for someone with a background in chemistry or a related field, such as a chemistry major or a chemistry teacher.

3. Is it okay to have someone check my chemistry questions before I submit them for a grade?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to have someone check your questions before submitting them for a grade. This can help catch any mistakes or misunderstandings before they affect your grade.

4. How much should I pay someone to check my chemistry questions?

The cost of having someone check your chemistry questions may vary depending on their qualifications and level of expertise. It is important to discuss payment beforehand and come to an agreement that works for both parties.

5. Can I only have someone check my answers, or can they also explain the concepts to me?

It depends on the person you choose to check your chemistry questions. Some may only check for accuracy, while others may also be willing to explain the concepts to you. Make sure to clarify your expectations beforehand.