Investigating the Quality of Rolex Watches

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, Rolex watches are very expensive and have a high value because of the materials used in the watch. The watch is also very durable and easy to read in the dark.
Cyrus said:
Its an amazing watch, but costs $10k. I don't have $10k for a watch, but the question is, if you did have that kind of money, is a Rolex a good investment? Or is it like Bose audio, way over priced for what you're getting?
Dunno, I have a Fossil that looks pretty much the same and I'm quite happy with it. But I do love my Bose audio upgrade for my car ($300, iirc). Lot cheaper than a Rolex.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can compare a fossil to a rolex, even in terms of looks. Kenneth Cole has nice watches that run under $150 bucks (same price range as a fossil), and look much, much, better. I bought a fossil back in high school. The fake gold started to rub off on it. I would never buy another fossil again, there junk.

Im going to try and sell it on ebay for $20 bucks. (I think I bought it back in high school for $100)

Last edited:
http://www.eurofakes.com/

Crap, even the replicas cost as much as $500+ bucks! Are you joking me?

Poop-Loops said:
Honestly, what is going to scratch up the face of you watch, anyway?
I could give you a rather long list. I think my record was about a week before I scratched the face of a watch.

And why not just buy another one for $10 afterwards, instead of spending $10k on one?
Better yet, I just stopped wearing watches. The only time it's annoying not to have a watch is on a plane when I'm wondering how late we are and if I'm going to make my connection when I can't turn on any of the other gadgets that have a clock in them...but then I remember there's nothing I can do about it anyway, and will know by the time I'm getting off the plane and need to run for my connection.

My experience so far is that watches over $100 and under $10 break the fastest. The ones around $20-$50 have survived the most abuse from me.

I don't see why anyone would need a Rolex. I don't even know what all those extra dials are for, let alone why a stainless steel watch should cost $10,000.

Cyrus, if you want a fake Rolex, you can get one in stainless steel with a quartz movement for around $20. The second hands do not sweep like the real deal, but the movement may be more accurate. Warning: if you dress nice and flash a fake Rolex, you're likely to get mugged just as quickly as if the watch was real. Going clubbing wearing fake bling can get your skull caved in just like wearing the real stuff.

turbo-1 said:
Cyrus, if you want a fake Rolex, you can get one in stainless steel with a quartz movement for around $20. The second hands do not sweep like the real deal, but the movement may be more accurate. Warning: if you dress nice and flash a fake Rolex, you're likely to get mugged just as quickly as if the watch was real. Going clubbing wearing fake bling can get your skull caved in just like wearing the real stuff.

Nah, Id rather buy a $125 buck watch from Kenneth Cole. I bought my first suit, so I need a watch, some black leather shoes, and white collar shirts (I don't have any black dress shoes, white collar shirts, or even watch).

http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts/shop/product.asp?pid=10237&cc=KMESS&title=&pw=thumbnail&var=0&srchtype=&srcharg=&size=0

This ones pretty nice. I like things that are simple and not flashy.

Im not going to throw away $20 bucks on a fake rolex though. Dont worry, some of the clubs I've been to the people have the money to wear a real rolex, or two, on each wrist.

Odd little side story, I went out to a different place to some bars because my friends wanted to this past weekend. This was a normal bar, meaning the people were just casual. I noticed that at these places the people drink a LOT more and they want to fight CONSTANTLY. This is why I go to upper end Bars/clubs. The people are nice, they dress nice, and they are nice to talk to. It seemed like there was a fight almost every 10 mins going on at this other bar, and people were getting so drunk they couldn't stand straight. I told my friends, this is why I only go to upper end bars/clubs. I don't want to deal with people fighting around me. I don't drink when I go out, so it only costs me the price of cover charge for the night, even though the drinks are mad expensive there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
(I don't have any black dress shoes, white collar shirts, or even watch).

This is very surprising from the guy who tried to school us all in fashion sense not long ago... :rolleyes:

- Warren

They did not fit, I gave them away. What does that have to do with knowing how to dress?

I have to have my collar shirts custom made becuase I am tall and thin. American clothes are for short and wide people. Now that I can afford to have them made, I will.

Cyrus said:
They did not fit, I gave them away. What does that have to do with knowing how to dress?

All right, all right. I thought you were saying you have never owned a pair of black dress shoes... which would make you quite a dork.

- Warren

Cyrus said:
American clothes are for short and wide people.

God, isn't that the truth? I'm 6' tall and 175 lbs, with a 31" waist, and I often end up buying size small shirts at generic department stores, because that's the only size that won't make me look like I'm wearing a damned garbage bag. I essentially HAVE to shop at higher-end stores like Nordstrom because they carry European-fit clothing that actually looks proper on me.

I recently bought a very nice new dress shirt, still pinned up on cardboard, because the neck and sleeve measurements were correct. I took it across the country with me to a conference, opened it up, and discovered that, while the neck and sleeves fit, the body of the shirt was literally three times bigger than my body. It looked like a damned moo-moo. I could pull the shirt from the nipples until my arms were almost fully extended. I can't even imagine the sort of human being that would actually FIT that kind of shirt. I wasted $80 on it, and was pretty pissed off.

Apparently they've given up on the old S, M, L, XL concept, and have introduced new categories like "MO," for the morbidly obese.

- Warren

chroot said:
God, isn't that the truth? I'm 6' tall and 175 lbs, with a 31" waist, and I often end up buying size small shirts at generic department stores, because that's the only size that won't make me look like I'm wearing a damned garbage bag. I essentially HAVE to shop at higher-end stores like Nordstrom because they carry European-fit clothing that actually looks proper on me.

I recently bought a very nice new dress shirt, still pinned up on cardboard, because the neck and sleeve measurements were correct. I took it across the country with me to a conference, opened it up, and discovered that, while the neck and sleeves fit, the body of the shirt was literally three times bigger than my body. It looked like a damned moo-moo. I could pull the shirt from the nipples until my arms were almost fully extended. I can't even imagine the sort of human being that would actually FIT that kind of shirt. I wasted $80 on it, and was pretty pissed off.

Apparently they've given up on the old S, M, L, XL concept, and have introduced new categories like "MO," for the morbidly obese.

- Warren

Warren, two words. HUGO BOSS. They WILL have shirts that are european cuts. I.e. long and slender. It was literally the ONLY place that had my size.

Cyrus said:
Warren, two words. HUGO BOSS.

We've had this discussion... I own a Hugo Boss suit.

Oh, you mean the actual store. Yeah, I went into the one in the San Francisco city center, but they're trying too damn hard. Almost everything they have has some fluorescent yellow or orange accent on it, and it's all $140. Even their ugly T-shirts will run you $75. *cough* rip-off *cough*

- Warren

I agree with going Kenneth Cole, my favorite watch is a Kenneth Cole, and it's not one of my more expensive ones that I never wear (all gifts).

chroot said:
We've had this discussion... I own a Hugo Boss suit.

- Warren

So do I, now. (Its all black) :biggrin: <Boy, being a paid grad student is nice, eh?>

But their collar shirts fit perfectly as well! There damn expensive, but they FIT.

I can spend $150 on a HB shirt that fits, or $80 on one from Nordstroms that looks bad on me and sits in my closet. Which is money better spent?

As for the colors, yeah. Its a cutting edge store that's why. Its runway stuff. But if you look for the more conservative things, like a white shirt, or a simple stripe shirt, it will fit perfectly well. Plus, the guy said he could taylor the collar shirts for me further for free if I want. That in itself costs around $50 bucks.

Side: Do you know any good places for dress shoes warren? Ones with real soles that you take to a cobler?

Last edited:
I have horrible luck with watches, I would always buy cheap ones and they were usually destroyed within months. Then one day I was in Coast Mountain Sports and they had a really nice ladies swiss military brand watch that was regular 200 bucks on for 90 so I bought it and have been wearing it for 2 years now. I love that watch.

Scorpa, Luminox makes very nice and rugged lady's watches, so if that watch of yours ever fails, look into them. I wear my Luminox every day all day, whether I'm riding my bike or ATV, running a chain saw, splitting wood, doing mechanic work or carpentry or anything else. I think their lady's watches would suit you just fine.

turbo-1 said:
Scorpa, Luminox makes very nice and rugged lady's watches, so if that watch of yours ever fails, look into them. I wear my Luminox every day all day, whether I'm riding my bike or ATV, running a chain saw, splitting wood, doing mechanic work or carpentry or anything else. I think their lady's watches would suit you just fine.

See, that's when I would wear my $10 watch from target. (Which I have on right now).

Cyrus said:
I have to have my collar shirts custom made becuase I am tall and thin. American clothes are for short and wide people. Now that I can afford to have them made, I will.

Hmm...the short guy I know has all his shirts custom made because the ones off the rack are too long (especially the sleeves). Does this mean men have caught up to women in off-the-rack clothing being all one-size-fits-none?

turbo-1 said:

I checked out their website and you are right they do look very good! They look tough enough to handle whatever is thrown at them but they still look nice to. I'll have to keep them in mind for when the time for a new watch comes.

Cyrus said:
See, that's when I would wear my $10 watch from target. (Which I have on right now).

Well, of course! You'd look really silly in a ladies' watch. :biggrin:

How the heck much are you getting paid as a grad student to be affording new suits and custom-made shirts? Besides, if you're in grad school, you're not supposed to have time to do anything but study and research. Quit slacking with all this clothing shopping and get back to work!

the best watch I have ever had is the Citizen Ecodrive Titanium. Solar powered, never needs batteries and being all titanium is very light but also very tough. I am hard on watches and this one has stood the test of time for 8 years now. Could do with a new saphire chrystal i suppose. Keeps good time and has an alarm. Being solar powered it does not have a backlite but it has very bright luminous hands. It supposedly run 180 days in the dark tho I have never tested this. It was about 700 bucks 8 years ago. I find it was a good buy. Previous to this one a watch never lasted a year on me.

Solar powered ecodrive.

IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7895-1.jpg

Moonbear said:
Hmm...the short guy I know has all his shirts custom made because the ones off the rack are too long (especially the sleeves). Does this mean men have caught up to women in off-the-rack clothing being all one-size-fits-none?

Pretty much. Collar shirts are simply non-existant for my body. I have to get them custom made, and its very expensive and they want me to order a min. of 3. So its either that, or wear a shirt with selves that end at my wrist joint.

Speaking of watch related things, check out this bot: the Citizen Eco Be. You guessed it, made of watch parts and powered by watch batteries. I want one. Go find the link yourselves, I'm a slacker.

Moonbear said:
Well, of course! You'd look really silly in a ladies' watch. :biggrin:

How the heck much are you getting paid as a grad student to be affording new suits and custom-made shirts? Besides, if you're in grad school, you're not supposed to have time to do anything but study and research. Quit slacking with all this clothing shopping and get back to work!

:rofl: I live at home and make $26k a year to attend school, and this is on top of tuition. Right now I am building up a nice wardrobe. Then I am going to save the rest for a down payment on a condo. Besides, I am on spring break! (I study every day to at least 12am, but I LOVE every min of it. God I love grad school.)

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
:rofl: I live at home and make $26k a year to attend school, and this is on top of tuition. Right now I am building up a nice wardrobe. Then I am going to save the rest for a down payment on a condo. Besides, I am on spring break! (I study every day to at least 12am, but I LOVE every min of it. God I love grad school.)

You're in grad school and still living at home? Don't your parents expect you to pay rent at this age if you're still living there?

Moonbear said:
You're in grad school and still living at home? Don't your parents expect you to pay rent at this age if you're still living there?

My parents don't care. I live 30 mins from school. All my friends live at home too. Its a cultural difference. My parents lived at home at my age and older. If my kids want to, fine. I am not going to charge them rent or kick them out. Besides, I get along very well with my parents.

Our house is paid for, so there is no rent. I don't want to pay 10k a year to live on campus when its a 30 min drive. My parents are awesome. I tell them I am going to the bar, they say have a nice time. I come home at 5 am, they don't care.

I just pay for my own food, gas, and clothes. The rest I save to buy a condo when I finish grad school. I want to have a beachin condo when I move out with wood floors, the works. If I have to live at home so I can do this, heck why not?

Last edited:
In Italy, a man lives at home until he marries, then his new wife and her family move in with his family.

I don't see why someone should have to pay for a separate home when they have one that is working out for both them and their parents. If Cyrus was a slacker and not working or going to school, then I could see his parents cracking down on him.

I was appalled when I read the quote from that female "celebrity chef" Nigella that said she's not leaving anything to her children in her will because she doesn't want them to have financial security. I guess she shouldn't be surprised if her kids reciprocate and aren't there for her when she gets old. Instilling a good work ethic in your kids is one thing, being a total b**ch is another.

Evo said:
In Italy, a man lives at home until he marries, then his new wife and her family move in with his family.

I don't see why someone should have to pay for a separate home when they have one that is working out for both them and their parents. If Cyrus was a slacker and not working or going to school, then I could see his parents cracking down on him.

I was appalled when I read the quote from that female "celebrity chef" Nigella that said she's not leaving anything to her children in her will because she doesn't want them to have financial security. I guess she shouldn't be surprised if her kids reciprocate and aren't there for her when she gets old. Instilling a good work ethic in your kids is one thing, being a total b**ch is another.

Thats exactly right. I see foreign kids living at home and doing nothing with their lives. I have no respect for those spoiled brats. They have zero work ethic. I worked at a lab starting my last year of high school through college saving money (while living at home) and getting great pay. It made my pockets fat and got me into grad school in the process. It was the best possible thing that could have happened to my career.
When I move out the reverse follows. If my parents need money for something once I am working, I'll gladly give it to them so they can live comfortably. I don't understand why most Americans can't grasp this simple concept. Why would you want your children to start from the bottom? Give them an edge so they can have a better life.

But this comes at a cost, I slaved away at undergrad every day studying to get a 4.0 most every semeseter (usual days were to 2-3 am, wake up at 6:45 to be at school by 8). Now I am reaping the rewards.

So, anyone starting or currently in undergrad, WORK HARD IT PAYS OFF!

Last edited:
Evo said:
Of course this is the reason there are so many unmarried men in Italy well into their 40s.

Once he pointed out that he was paying for his own food and transportation, etc., it's clear he wasn't just mooching. Still, at some point, it's time to get out on your own and become independent of your parents...but it sounds like he's saving up to do that, and that's fine. There are people who will live home with their parents with no intention of ever leaving, and squander all their earnings on things like toys and flashy clothing while their parents still support them (and you have to admit that when someone is saying they live home with their parents and are buying custom-made shirts and looking at Rolex watches while a grad student, it's going to cross your mind without further explanation).

I'm sure that was probably taken out of context. Some people joke they aren't going to leave anything for their kids, or maybe she's doing well enough that she doesn't want her kids to be like Paris Hilton living off their parents' money, and was reacting to something like that but not completely seriously. You shouldn't teach your kids to expect an inheritance anyway. Better for them to prepare that they won't get anything and be surprised when there is something for them than to let them expect they will be set once you die and then have them standing around destitute waiting for a hand out when health care expenses at the end of your life leave you in debt.

Moonbear said:
Once he pointed out that he was paying for his own food and transportation, etc., it's clear he wasn't just mooching. Still, at some point, it's time to get out on your own and become independent of your parents...but it sounds like he's saving up to do that, and that's fine. There are people who will live home with their parents with no intention of ever leaving, and squander all their earnings on things like toys and flashy clothing while their parents still support them (and you have to admit that when someone is saying they live home with their parents and are buying custom-made shirts and looking at Rolex watches while a grad student, it's going to cross your mind without further explanation).

Im definately moving out once I finish grad school, that's for sure. Id move out now, but I want to save money. I am not going to spend 10k a year to live 5 mins on campus, when I live 30 mins drive from my own house. I am actually pretty cheap, there are many things I don't like to spend my money on. One of the few things I do spend good money on is clothes, because they will last me years and make me look good. As for having custom made shirts, I am not doing it out of choice. There just is not any shirts my size at the store. None at all. I am tired of wasting my money on shirts, like warren did, that don't fit right. They end up just sitting in the closet, and that's a bigger waste of my money than just buying a custom one that I can actually wear. So, even though its expensive, Id rather pay for something I can actually use and not look retarded when I am wearing it because its a moo-moo. You have no idea how big and baggy american cut shirts are...The same goes for owning a good suit. I can use it for job interviews, work, and formal technical society dinners: its going to pay for itself in the long run.

Anyways, I am not buying a rolex...thats what this thread is about. You guys each donating one dollar to my rolex fund!

My goal is to have a nice wardobe now that I can save up and afford to do it so that when I move out I don't have to worry about paying for anything other than rent and food. Hey, if a woman can set up a website asking for donations so she can get a boob job, (and she got enough money to get one!) then I can do the same for a rolex.

http://myfreeimplants.com/

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Anyways, I am not buying a rolex...thats what this thread is about. You guys each donating one dollar to my rolex fund!

My goal is to have a nice wardobe now that I can save up and afford to do it so that when I move out I don't have to worry about paying for anything other than rent and food. Hey, if a woman can set up a website asking for donations so she can get a boob job, (and she got enough money to get one!) then I can do the same for a rolex.

Maybe I can get the Macbook Air!
www.buychimesonamacair.com[/URL]
(under construction)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got out of the Navy I moved back in with my parents for free, but would have had to pay rent if I stayed more than a few months. In hindsight, I probably should have stayed longer - I would have saved money faster and been able to buy a house faster (perhaps in as little as 6 more months instead of 4 years later).

Also, I am not buying a new car until I own a house. That way Ill take out a second loan on the house to buy the car, and have a low interest rate loan on the car instead of the high rate loans you get if you buy a car with borrowed money from the bank. Its possible to buy high quality stuff, as long as you plan out your money smart. I want to have only what I absolutely need, but have it be of the best quality. I hate cheap junk, and I don't like collecting things. Its a big waste of money. No thanks!

All I want is a nice condo, nice wardrobe, nice car, nice bicycle. I have a nice bike, and I am working on the wardrobe. Then comes the condo and finally a car. Then I am content. I don't want a super big house full of crap in it, or any other junk. Then Ill just save my money and travel around the world. Thats my goal in life.

Last edited:
every one doesn't need it...they might think they need it..Im sure you came to the same thought at one point. That clock just took a lot more time to make it,and to find the things to make it. but it still is just a clock... its just people's way of making them selfs feel better. but that's just one thing that it dose. besides depleting your bank account, but to a person that's rich. that 10k clock would be $10 to him/her. For 10k you could get a watch that has over 10 functions that would be usefull in every day life instead of being eye candy all day :) but I am sure rolex owner's beg to differ. same with the people that make them and supplie the supplies for them :) i want a tazer wacth that could be self charged with a hand turned generater :D

Cyrus, how'd you get into working at a lab right out of high school? I'd love to be able to do that.