Is a $10k Rolex a good investment or overpriced?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
91 replies · 57K views
turbo-1 said:
Forget price-points (a fiction of our retail system) and forget "style" (a concept created to to separate the bourgeois and the poseurs from their money). Instead, set your own standards. You can have style and function and durability without busting the bank AND without appearing ostentatious.

But I did set my own standard. No gold, not flashy, modern, with an elegant look. I can't "forget style", I mentioned earlier I was going to be an architect before I went into engineering. Style is VERY important to me. I think that movado does everything you describe in your last statement and is priced close to the watch you showed me.

A watch that is formal enough to look good in a suit, but casual to wear every day at time same time.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
No way, it's 10:07! :biggrin: If I'm going to wear a watch, I don't want approximate times...I want to know if I have 2 min to grab a cup of coffee on the way to a meeting, or if I should hurry up and tiptoe in because I'm already 2 min late...I wouldn't be able to tell that well on that watch.

Considering most meetings don't take place at odd times like 10:17, I am pretty sure you can tell when its every 15 mins and interpolate inbetween. Its really not that hard, as Evo said.

You just don't specify WHICH class. :smile: To me, it would indicate a guy who likes jewelry and appearance over functionality. I prefer a guy who goes for function before decoration.

A watch is the only 'jewelery' a man should wear because its functional.


Seriously, I like tribdog's idea of a Mickey Mouse watch better than a Movado or Rolex (yes, even with a suit). It tells me he can think for himself, set his own style, has a sense of humor/knows how to have fun, and isn't stuck up about status symbols.

I don't see how that's being 'stuck up about status symbols'. Its called taste and a sense of style. I am not going to attend any formal dinners with a mickey mouse watch. I never said I wanted to go around flashing a gold and diamond rolex saying 'hey look at me!'

There is a time and a place to wear it. If its not flashy, you can wear it every day and most people wouldn't even notice, and THATS what I am willing to pay for. A watch that can pull that off.
 
Last edited: