What is the true definition of an ionic liquid?

In summary, the term "ionic liquid" is used to describe salts that are liquid at room temperature. It is different from a simple ionized solution and can be compared to a molten salt with a lower melting temperature. However, there is some debate about the exact definition and whether certain substances, such as ethylammonium nitrate, qualify as ionic liquids. Some literature considers even molten salt to be an ionic liquid, but there is no clear consensus on this.
Nahahahah
Hi. I have a question about the term, "Ionic liquid"

When I researched the papers, I found the word "Ionic liquid" in many papers.

First, I thought the ionic liquid just means the solution that solvent is ionized.

But as I read other papers, I found that people don't mean ionized solution as ionic liquid.

For example... What is a difference between (1) NaCl ionic liquid and... just a (2) solution that I pour NaCl powder in DI water and just it with stick ?I hope I find the answer here...

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "NaCl ionic liquid*", but I know what you are trying to say.

A terminologically incorrect* but intuitive analogy would be molten salt. Ionic liquid is like a molten salt except the melting temperature is below RT.
*We usually refer to ionic liquid as salts that are liquid in RT. However, in a broader sense, molten salt is also considered an ionic liquid in some literature on ionic liquids. I am not sure if this is for sake of discussion in trying to let the readers intuitively understand, or if this term is technically correct under the definition.

Likes Nahahahah
HAYAO said:
There is no such thing as "NaCl ionic liquid", but I know what you are trying to say.

A terminologically incorrect but intuitive analogy would be molten salt. Ionic liquid is like a molten salt except the melting temperature is below RT.
Thank you so much!

First discovered true ionic liquid, by Walden in 1914, was ethylammonium nitrate.
Is ethylammonium nitrate miscible with water?
At which point does it cease to qualify as "ionic liquid"?

snorkack said:
First discovered true ionic liquid, by Walden in 1914, was ethylammonium nitrate.
Is ethylammonium nitrate miscible with water?
At which point does it cease to qualify as "ionic liquid"?
Quick research says that it is miscible with water at any composition.

I don't know the exact definition of "ionic liquid". In a broad sense, even molten salt is ionic liquid. The nomenclature "ionic liquid" seems to be something that many people take what other people says for granted, instead of trying to be very specific about it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the difference between an ionic liquid and a solution?

An ionic liquid is a type of liquid composed entirely of ions, while a solution is a mixture of a solute (substance being dissolved) and a solvent (liquid in which the solute is dissolved). In solutions, the solute particles are typically small molecules or ions, whereas in ionic liquids, the ions are much larger and have a strong ionic bond between them.

2. Can ionic liquids be used as solvents?

Yes, ionic liquids can be used as solvents for a wide range of chemical reactions and processes. Their unique properties, such as high thermal and chemical stability, low volatility, and ability to dissolve a variety of substances, make them attractive alternatives to traditional solvents.

3. Are ionic liquids safe to handle?

It depends on the specific ionic liquid. While some ionic liquids have been deemed safe for use, others may have toxic or corrosive properties. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the specific ionic liquid being used and follow proper safety protocols when handling it.

4. What are the advantages of using ionic liquids over traditional solvents?

Ionic liquids have several advantages over traditional solvents, including their low volatility, high thermal and chemical stability, and ability to dissolve a wide range of substances. They also have the potential to be more environmentally friendly, as they can be derived from renewable resources and have lower toxicity levels.

5. How are ionic liquids being used in research and industry?

Ionic liquids have a wide range of applications in both research and industry. They are being used as solvents in chemical reactions, as electrolytes in batteries and fuel cells, and as lubricants and heat transfer fluids. They also have potential uses in pharmaceuticals, green chemistry, and energy storage, among others.