Irodov's problem book for the IPhO

• Thread starter thrill3rnit3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Ipho
In summary: Krotov and Sena are both good sources for physics problems, but they are not specific to olympiad preparation. You can find them at most bookstores.Yes, the IPhO committee releases a collection of preparatory problems before each olympiad.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
I've heard that Irodov's Problems in General Physics is a good resource for Physics problems. My question is would that be a good preparation book for physics olympiads??

And does anyone know where to get a copy (and preferably a cheap one) of the book? I've tried Amazon but to no avail.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you live? I don't think it's commonly available in the west, but it's easy to find in India where it is widely used.

I live in California.

Is there any way I can get it from the Internet? I really need the book.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=9768960435&wquery=irodov&qsort=&page=1&cm_sp=inventory*listing*title

Ships from India.

thanks a lot.

dx said:
Where do you live? I don't think it's commonly available in the west, but it's easy to find in India where it is widely used.

Do have any Krotov or Sena problem books? It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Sure it is helpful.
I participate in physics olympiad in my country (I came very close to representing it at IPhO, only two places below the ones who did it) and during the training sessions I discovered it was the standard reading for the students who go to the IPhO (I had no clue it even existed (self learner, miles away from anyone who does the same thing as me), all the other participants were shocked I didn't know Irodov's name).

Please, pay attention: the comitee that organizes IPhO does not support any book to prepare for it. However, I've found it is a amazing book, even if you don't plan to go to IPhO anymore (like me).

Have a solutions manual by hand, it's very helpful!

However, (at least in my country), the level of questions of the National Physics Olympiad doesn't even come close to Irodov's. So, depending what you are aiming for, Irodov is too much.

hey dx me in India bagalore...i am really interested to participate in d IPhO mate.learnt dat
irodov and feynman lectures r really good .do u kno whr to get em.wish me luck my 10th boards start on friday

Doesn't each year's IPhO comittee release a collection of preparatory problems before each olympiad? I'd also look at previous problems from earlier olympiads.

What is Irodov's problem book for the IPhO?

Irodov's problem book for the IPhO is a collection of physics problems compiled by Russian physicist and educator A. P. Irodov. It is specifically designed for students preparing for the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) and covers a wide range of topics in physics.

How is Irodov's problem book different from other physics problem books?

Irodov's problem book is known for its challenging and thought-provoking problems that require not only a strong understanding of physics concepts, but also creative and analytical thinking. It also includes detailed and comprehensive solutions to each problem, making it a valuable resource for students and teachers.

Who can benefit from using Irodov's problem book?

Irodov's problem book is primarily aimed at students preparing for the IPhO, but it can also be helpful for students preparing for other physics competitions or for those who want to strengthen their problem-solving skills in physics. It can also be a useful reference for teachers and educators.

Is Irodov's problem book suitable for all levels of students?

The problems in Irodov's book range from intermediate to advanced level, so it may be more challenging for beginners or those with limited knowledge of physics. However, the book can still be a useful resource for all levels of students as it covers a wide range of topics and allows for self-paced learning.

Where can I find Irodov's problem book for the IPhO?

Irodov's problem book for the IPhO is available for purchase online or in some bookstores. It may also be available in libraries or can be borrowed from other students who have already used it. Some websites also offer free PDF versions of the book for download.