Using Irodov's Problems in general physics for PGRE

In summary, I think this book is great for GRE preparation, but it is slightly more difficult than the GRE problems. It is a great book for conceptual understanding and timing.
bill2018
Hello ,
I'm preparing for the GRE subject test in Physics.
I have Irodov's Problems in general physics. I think that this book contains a large number of very interesting and somewhat challenging collection of problems. Is this book suitable for GRE study ? My goal is to get 900+ on the test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those problems are longer and more involved than the GRE problems.

bill2018 said:
Hello ,
I'm preparing for the GRE subject test in Physics.
I have Irodov's Problems in general physics. I think that this book contains a large number of very interesting and somewhat challenging collection of problems. Is this book suitable for GRE study ? My goal is to get 900+ on the test.
You don't need a book with challenging problems to do well on the gre. I learned mainly from Halliday and I scored low 800's. I did that with almost no upper division quantum. Take the practice gre, find your weaknesses from your first year of physics and patch them up with Halliday, that works well I think.

I did not know that Irodov has been translated into English. Another tear-roof-down Russian book of problems is by Savchenko :)

The best resources are the prior exams. Many questions are very similar to the ones on the current test. There is also this book called conquering the physics gre which came out only 2-4 years ago.

One big piece of advice I have is to read the questions on the test very carefully. It can be tempting to go as fast as you can given the time limit, but this is extremely important as you can easily misinterpret questions if you go too fast.

These problems are definitely harder ( and are not designed to take 1.7 minutes or less to do), but I think it will be good to go through them to develop any conceptual understanding.

My problem was timing on the pgre, so I think that should be your main focus if you are good with the physics. Use the earliest to exams to go through by timing in sections or untimed. Like I gave myself 17 minutes for 10 questions etc. Then use the more recent exams for timing in a more exam setting.

1. How difficult are the problems in Irodov's book?

The problems in Irodov's book are considered to be quite challenging, especially for those preparing for the PGRE. They require a strong foundation in physics concepts and problem-solving skills. Many students find them to be more difficult than the actual PGRE questions.

2. How can I effectively use Irodov's book for the PGRE?

The best way to use Irodov's book for the PGRE is to use it as a supplement to your study materials. It can be helpful to solve a few problems from Irodov's book every day to improve your problem-solving skills and reinforce your understanding of physics concepts. However, it should not be your only source of practice problems.

3. Are all the problems in Irodov's book relevant for the PGRE?

While most of the problems in Irodov's book are relevant for the PGRE, some of them may be too advanced or not covered on the exam. It is important to prioritize the topics and concepts that are commonly tested on the PGRE and focus on those when using Irodov's book.

4. Is it necessary to solve all the problems in Irodov's book for the PGRE?

No, it is not necessary to solve all the problems in Irodov's book for the PGRE. It is more important to focus on understanding the concepts and mastering problem-solving techniques rather than just solving a large number of problems. Choose a few problems from each chapter to solve and make sure you understand the solutions.

5. Can I use Irodov's book as my only study material for the PGRE?

No, it is not recommended to use Irodov's book as your only study material for the PGRE. While it is a useful resource, it should be used in conjunction with other study materials such as textbooks, practice tests, and review books. This will ensure a well-rounded preparation for the exam.