Iron transforms from bcc to fcc.Ratio of nearest neighbour distance.

• Thread starter sudipmaity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary: I could be wrong, but it's worth thinking about.In summary, the problem involves finding the ratio of nearest neighbour distance in fcc structure to that in bcc structure for iron at 1180K, assuming no change in density. However, the given answer of 1.029 does not match the calculated value of 0.8. This may be due to the fact that the problem does not specify that the constant a remains the same, and instead states that the density stays constant. This means that the density must be computed as a function of a for both fcc and bcc structures, and the change in a must be taken into account when finding the ratio.
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

At about 1180K iron transforms into fcc structure from bcc structure which is also the structural form at room temperature.Assuming no change in density find the ratio of nearest neighbour distance in fcc structure to that in bcc structure.

Homework Equations

For fcc nearest neighbour distance is a/ 2(1/2)
For bcc " """"""" """" a(31/2) / 2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the ratio of the above formula.I am getting 0.8 .But the given answer is 1.029.Clearly my method is wrong .Please help.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
sudipmaity said:

Homework Statement

At about 1180K iron transforms into fcc structure from bcc structure which is also the structural form at room temperature.Assuming no change in density find the ratio of nearest neighbour distance in fcc structure to that in bcc structure.

Homework Equations

For fcc nearest neighbour distance is a/ 2(1/2)
For bcc " """"""" """" a(31/2) / 2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the ratio of the above formula.I am getting 0.8 .But the given answer is 1.029.Clearly my method is wrong .Please help.[/B]

This is possibly relevant: The problem statement doesn't say that the constant [itex]a[/itex] (presumably, that's the length of one of the edges of the cube?) stays the same. It says that the density stays the same. So you need to compute the density as a function of [itex]a[/itex] for fcc an bcc. Then you need to figure how [itex]a[/itex] changes if the density stays constant.

That's just a guess as to what the problem might be.

1. What is the crystal structure of iron?

Iron is a metal that can exist in different crystal structures depending on its temperature and pressure. At room temperature, iron has a body-centered cubic (bcc) crystal structure.

2. How does iron transform from bcc to fcc?

At high temperatures, iron undergoes a phase transformation from bcc to face-centered cubic (fcc) structure, also known as the austenitic transformation. This transformation occurs due to the movement of iron atoms, which allows them to pack closer together and form the fcc structure.

3. What is the significance of the transformation from bcc to fcc in iron?

The transformation from bcc to fcc structure in iron is important in various industrial processes, such as steelmaking. This transformation can also affect the mechanical properties of iron, such as its strength and ductility.

4. What is the ratio of nearest neighbour distance in bcc and fcc iron?

The ratio of nearest neighbour distance in bcc and fcc iron is approximately 1.414. This means that the distance between two nearest iron atoms in the fcc structure is 1.414 times larger than in the bcc structure.

5. How does the ratio of nearest neighbour distance affect the properties of iron?

The ratio of nearest neighbour distance can affect the properties of iron, such as its density and electrical conductivity. In the fcc structure, the atoms are more closely packed, leading to a higher density and lower electrical resistance compared to the bcc structure.