What is the Lattice Constant of Iron?

In summary, the lattice constant of bcc iron can be calculated by equating its density of 7900 kg/m3 with the equation 112 amu/a^3 and solving for a, which gives a value of 2.86 angstroms. The nearest neighbor distance between atoms of iron is then found by taking the reciprocal of this value, which gives a distance of 2.27 angstroms.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

The density of bcc iron is 7900 kg/m3, and its atomic wieght is 56 amu. Using this information, calculate the lattice constant of iron's cubic unit cell and the interatomic spacing (i.e. nearest neighbor distance).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was mostly unit conversion, with the only relevant knowledge being that there are 2 atoms per cubic unit cell.

7900 kg/m^3 = 4.757*10^30 amu/m^3
4.757*10^30 amu/m^3 = 8.49552*10^28 atoms of iron / m^3
8.49552*10^28 atoms of iron / m^3 = 4.396057*10^9 atoms of iron / m
4.396057*10^9 atoms of iron / m = 0.439606 atoms of iron / angstrom

Taking the reciprocal of the final answer should get us the space between atoms, which gives me 2.27 angstroms between atoms of iron. I thought this should be the lattice constant, however I'm guessing I've done something wrong since I believe the answer should be 2.86 angstroms.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out. In case anyone is interested, the density of a conventional cubic cell is going to be

[tex]\frac{112 AMU}{a^3}[/tex]

since the bcc lattice has to lattice points in a conventional cell. This must be equated with 7900 Kg/m^3. After conversion through dimensional analysis, you solve for a, which is the lattice parameter.

1. What is the lattice constant of iron?

The lattice constant of iron is the distance between the atoms in a crystal structure of iron. It is typically measured in units of angstroms (Å) or nanometers (nm).

2. What is the significance of the lattice constant in the properties of iron?

The lattice constant of iron determines its crystal structure, which in turn affects its physical and mechanical properties. For example, the lattice constant affects the density, strength, and thermal conductivity of iron.

3. How is the lattice constant of iron measured?

The lattice constant of iron can be measured using various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron diffraction, or atomic force microscopy. These techniques involve analyzing the spacing between atoms in a crystal of iron.

4. Does the lattice constant of iron change with temperature?

Yes, the lattice constant of iron can change with temperature due to thermal expansion. As the temperature increases, the atoms vibrate more and the distance between them increases, leading to a larger lattice constant.

5. Can the lattice constant of iron be altered?

Yes, the lattice constant of iron can be altered through processes such as alloying, heat treatment, or mechanical deformation. These processes can change the arrangement of atoms in the crystal structure and therefore modify the lattice constant.