Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible reps of maximal tori

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

The representations [itex]S^1 = \mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Z} \to U(1)[/itex] are of the form [itex]\rho_n : [x] \mapsto e^{2\pi i n x}[/itex] for any integer n. I'm trying to understand why the push-forward [itex](\rho_n)_\ast : x \mapsto nx[/itex].

The push-forward of [itex]\rho_n[/itex] is a map from the tangent space of S^1 to the tangent space of U(1).

ie it is the map [itex](\rho_n)_\ast : \lambda \frac{\partial }{\partial x} (\cdot) \mapsto \lambda\partial (\cdot \circ \rho_n) [/itex]

where the dot indicates a the argument function and lambda is any real number.

Presumably one should have [itex]\lambda\partial/\partial x \mapsto n\lambda \partial/\partial x[/itex] or something but I can't see how this follows from the above.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2
    This is actually really easy if you consider the derivative of [itex]e^{2pi x(t)}[/itex] and [itex](e^{2pi x(t)})^n[/itex] with respect to t. Since both maps are complex analytic you will find that the derivative of the latter is n times the derivative of the first function, multiplied by some phase difference. From the point of view of the tangent spaces, this means that [itex] x \mapsto nx[/itex] as required.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?