Does an irreducible representation acting on operators imply....

In summary, the irreducibility of a representation acting on operators does not necessarily imply the irreducibility of the representation acting on states. While the former may be finite-dimensional, irreducible, and unitary, the latter may be infinite-dimensional and non-unitary. This is especially true in relativistic quantum field theories, where the relevant representations are typically not irreducible. Additionally, the finite-dimensionality of the field space does not imply the finite-dimensionality of the Hilbert space.
hideelo
Ok, so my question is "Does an irreducible representation acting on operators imply that the states also transform in an irreducible representation?" and what I mean by that is the following. If I have an operator transforming in an irreducible transformation of some group, I get a corresponding symmetry transformation on my states, is this representation acting on my states also irreducible?For example, suppose I had a lagrangian that was ##L = \phi^\mu \phi_\mu## then I can see that that it has SO(n) symmetry in the following sense. Let ##R(\omega)## be a rotation (in the fundamental representation) then if I send ##\phi_\mu \mapsto R(\omega)_\mu^\nu \phi_\nu## the lagrangian remains invariant. Corresponding to this I get a representation acting on the states by ##R(\omega)_\mu^\nu \phi_\nu = U(\omega)^{-1} \phi_\mu U(\omega)##

Now I know that the ##R(\omega)_\mu^\nu## is in the fundamental so that is necessarily an irreducible representation. However can I somehow conclude that the ##U(\omega)## representation is irreducible as well?

P.S. I know that in general states and operators don't even need to have the same symmetry group. I'm more interested in whether irreducibility of one implies irreducibility of the other

Physics news on Phys.org
hideelo said:
can I somehow conclude that the ##U(\omega)## representation is irreducible as well?
No. Irreducibility of [itex]R[/itex] does not imply that of [itex]U[/itex]. In fact, in relativistic QFT: [tex]\begin{align*}U : & \ T(4) \rtimes SL(2, \mathbb{C}) \to U( \mathcal{H}) \\ & \ \ \ \ \ \ ( a , A ) \mapsto U( a , A) , \end{align*}[/tex] the representation [itex]U(a,A)[/itex] is faithful, unitary and infinite-dimensional but not irreducible. While the representation [tex]D : SL(2, \mathbb{C}) \to GL( V^{(j_{1} , j_{2})})[/tex] is non-unitary, finite-dimensional and irreducible.

samalkhaiat said:
No. Irreducibility of [itex]R[/itex] does not imply that of [itex]U[/itex]. In fact, in relativistic QFT: [tex]\begin{align*}U : & \ T(4) \rtimes SL(2, \mathbb{C}) \to U( \mathcal{H}) \\ & \ \ \ \ \ \ ( a , A ) \mapsto U( a , A) , \end{align*}[/tex] the representation [itex]U(a,A)[/itex] is faithful, unitary and infinite-dimensional but not irreducible. While the representation [tex]D : SL(2, \mathbb{C}) \to GL( V^{(j_{1} , j_{2})})[/tex] is non-unitary, finite-dimensional and irreducible.

I think you're saying that the implication does not go the other way. i.e. in my example irreducibility of the [itex]U(\omega)[/itex] representation would not imply irreducibility of the [itex]R(\omega)[/itex] representation. Am I understanding you correctly?

hideelo said:
Am I understanding you correctly?
No.
Is [itex]U( \omega )[/itex] in your example finite-dimensional or (the important) infinite-dimensional unitary representation? The relevant “Hilbert” spaces in QFT’s are infinite-dimensional.
For some reason you considered [itex]SO(n)[/itex] which is a compact group. A compact group has, among others, also finite-dimensional, irreducible, unitary representations; however, it does not have infinite-dimensional, irreducible unitary representation.
In the transformation law (of a relativistic field theory) [tex]U^{\dagger}(g) \varphi_{a} U(g) = D_{a}{}^{b}(g) \varphi_{b} , \ \ a = 1,2, \cdots , n[/tex]
[itex]D : G \to GL (V^{n})[/itex] is a finite-dimensional irreducible representation of the “symmetry” group [itex]G[/itex] (since we always take our fields to be irreducible) and [itex]U : G \to U( \mathcal{H})[/itex] is the corresponding (mostly infinite-dimensional) unitary representation of [itex]G[/itex] in the Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex].
So, the irreducibility of [itex]D[/itex] does not imply that [itex]U[/itex] is also irreducible(in QFT, the relevant [itex]U[/itex]'s are not irreducible). Also, the field space [itex]V^{n}[/itex] is a finite-dimensional vector space, this does not mean that the Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] is also finite-dimensional.

1. Does an irreducible representation acting on operators imply that the operators commute?

Yes, an irreducible representation acting on operators does imply that the operators commute. This is because an irreducible representation is a representation that cannot be broken down into smaller, independent representations. Therefore, the operators in an irreducible representation must commute in order to maintain the irreducible nature of the representation.

2. Can an irreducible representation acting on operators be reducible?

No, an irreducible representation acting on operators cannot be reducible. This is because an irreducible representation is, by definition, a representation that cannot be broken down into smaller, independent representations. If an irreducible representation were to become reducible, it would no longer be considered an irreducible representation.

3. Are all operators in an irreducible representation acting on the same vector space?

Yes, all operators in an irreducible representation are acting on the same vector space. This is because an irreducible representation is a representation of a group of operators on a vector space, where the operators all act on the same space.

4. Can an irreducible representation acting on operators have multiple eigenvalues?

Yes, an irreducible representation acting on operators can have multiple eigenvalues. This is because an irreducible representation is a representation of a group of operators, and each operator within the group can have its own distinct eigenvalues. However, within a particular operator, the eigenvalues must be degenerate in order for the representation to remain irreducible.

5. Is an irreducible representation acting on operators unique?

No, an irreducible representation acting on operators is not necessarily unique. This is because there can be multiple different irreducible representations of the same group of operators, depending on the vector space on which they act. However, within a given vector space, the irreducible representation is unique.