Is 2.7177117771117777 irrational?

• Thread starter JsStewartFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the conversation discussed whether a decimal with a non-repeating pattern is irrational or not. Through the understanding that only repeating decimals can be rational, it was determined that the decimal in question is indeed irrational. The number itself is not well-known, but it bears some similarity to the well-known number e=2.7182818284590. The origin of the pattern in the decimal was left unknown.
JsStewartFan
Is 2.71771177711177771111... irrational?

Homework Statement

I'm student teaching 8th graders Numbers and Operations. This is from an 8th grade activity I inherited with no "answer key." Is this decimal (with a pattern but not a repeating pattern) irrational? I am guessing it is, but I want to confirm it. Also, does anyone know if it is a "famous" number?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that all repeating decimals, such as 2.181818... or 3.156715671567... are rational because they can be represented by fractions a/b, where a and b are integers. And I have studied up on how to convert repeating decimals into fractions. I don't believe this "pattern" in the decimal number in question is "repeating," just a pattern. So I'm thinking it's irrational. But I'm curious about the number itself, also.

Physics news on Phys.org

JsStewartFan said:
I don't believe this "pattern" in the decimal number in question is "repeating," just a pattern. So I'm thinking it's irrational. But I'm curious about the number itself, also.

Your intuition is correct. The decimal must be repeating the same pattern in order for it to be a rational number. Ergo, this is an irrational number.

Thanks! And you didn't recognize it, did you, as a well-known number?

I don't know. I've never seen it.

It is somewhat close to e=2.7182818284590...

ehild

Thanks, ehild and gb7nash! I wish I could think of how such a pattern could be generated. WTMTOMH, I guess.

1. Is 2.7177117771117777 an irrational number?

Yes, 2.7177117771117777 is an irrational number.

2. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction with a finite number of digits after the decimal point.

3. How do you know if a number is irrational?

A number is irrational if it cannot be expressed as a rational number. This can be determined by attempting to write the number as a fraction. If it cannot be written as a fraction, then it is irrational.

4. Are there any properties of irrational numbers?

Yes, irrational numbers have the property of being non-repeating and non-terminating, meaning their decimal expansion goes on infinitely without repeating any pattern.

5. Can irrational numbers be used in math and science?

Yes, irrational numbers are an important part of math and science. They are used to represent quantities that cannot be expressed as whole numbers or fractions, such as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter (pi).