What Are the Different Types of Numbers and How Can You Determine Them?

In summary, we discussed how to determine whether a number is a natural number, an integer, a rational number, or an irrational number. We learned that a number of the form sqrt{n} where n is a natural number that is not a perfect square is irrational, and that the sum, difference, product, and quotient of an irrational number and a nonzero rational are all irrational. We also discussed how to determine whether a repeating decimal is rational or irrational, and the concept of infinite geometric series.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Determine whether the number is a natural number, an integer, a rational number, or an irrational number.
Relevant Equations
None
Determine whether the number is a natural number, an integer, a rational number, or an irrational number. (Some numbers fit in more than one category.) The following facts will be helpful in some cases: Any number of the form sqrt{n}
where n is a natural number that is not a perfect square, is irrational. Also, the sum, difference, product, and quotient of an irrational number and a nonzero rational are all irrational.

See attachment.

For A, I will say rational.

For B, I'm not sure because 8.(bar)7 means 8.777777...

For C, I will say irrational.

For D, I will also say irrational.

You say?

Attachments

• 1624030598706.png
    1624030598706.png
    3 KB · Views: 110
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
A, C and D are correct. What about B?

Hint: infinite series.

Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
I don't think he knows about infinite series.
His textbook probably has an explanation in terms of whether the decimal representation terminates (i.e., ends with a zero) or repeats a specific, fixed-length pattern.

Likes nycmathguy
Mark44 said:
I don't think he knows about infinite series.
His textbook probably has an explanation in terms of whether the decimal representation terminates (i.e., ends with a zero) or repeats a specific, fixed-length pattern.
Perhaps some lateral thinking based on shifting digits? Is this Ron Larson again?

Likes nycmathguy
Hint: what if you multiply 8.7777... by 9?
I'd guess there's a 50% chance the guy that wrote this quiz doesn't know about part B either. I think this video will help:

Likes nycmathguy
PeroK said:
A, C and D are correct. What about B?

For B. I think the decimal is actually 8.777777777777777777777777777, and it is a rational number. Can this by written as 79/9?

Last edited by a moderator:
nycmathguy said:
For B. I think the decimal is actually 8.777777777777777777777777777, and it is a rational number. Can this by written as 79/9?
If you do long division for 79/9, you get ##8.777 \dots##. That would be good enough for me.

Have you studied (infinite) geometric series?

PS can you show that any repeating decimal is some whole number divided by ##9, 99, 999## etc?

nycmathguy said:
For B. I think the decimal is actually 8.777777777777777777777777777
Note that ##8.777777777777777777777777777## and ##8.777777777777777777777777777\dots## are different numbers. The latter can be written as ##8.777\dots## to mean exactly the same thing. The dots (called an ellipsis) mean that the pattern continues indefinitely.

Likes nycmathguy
Mark44 said:
Note that ##8.777777777777777777777777777## and ##8.777777777777777777777777777\dots## are different numbers. The latter can be written as ##8.777\dots## to mean exactly the same thing. The dots (called an ellipsis) mean that the pattern continues indefinitely.
Very cool.

What are the different types of numbers?

The different types of numbers include natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, and irrational numbers.

What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are counting numbers that start from 1 and continue infinitely. They do not include any fractions or decimals.

What are whole numbers?

Whole numbers are similar to natural numbers, but they also include the number 0. They do not include any fractions or decimals.

What are integers?

Integers are all positive and negative whole numbers, including 0. They do not include any fractions or decimals.

How can you determine if a number is rational or irrational?

A rational number can be expressed as a fraction of two integers, while an irrational number cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals. To determine if a number is rational or irrational, you can try to write it as a fraction. If it can be written as a fraction, it is rational. If not, it is irrational.