Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is a 2-body elliptical orbit stable in GR?

1. Dec 24, 2016 #1
    I understand that in a 2-body system a circular orbit is gravitationally stable in General Relativity. In Newtonian dynamics, an elliptical orbit is also stable, but is this also true in GR? I understand that the orbit precesses, but I do not intend that to change my meaning regarding stability.

What prompts this question is the now documented phenomenon of a pair of black holes radiating away their mutual gravitational potential energy as gravitational waves, and ultimately collapsing together to form a single black hole. I am curious about whether this phenomenon depends on an elliptical orbit or on some other mechanism.

If an elliptical orbit is unstable in GR, how does the eccentricity change during the collapse? Does it grow, shrink, or remain the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2016 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't believe any orbital system is stable in GR due to gravitational radiation. The time scale may be enormous, but all orbits decay.

4. Dec 24, 2016 #3

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Gravitational radiation does not require an elliptical orbit. It only requires that the distribution of mass changes as seen from a given direction so that at some point the masses have a maximum elongation in one direction and at some other point they have a minimum elongation in the same direction (and possibly a maximum in some other). For a pair of orbiting objects, the maximum elongation occurs twice per orbit, so the frequency of the radiation is twice the orbit frequency.

For more information, see the Wikipedia article: Gravitational wave

5. Dec 24, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, orbits are not elliptical in GR - even if you neglect the gravitational radiation. The postdiction of Mercury's orbital precession was one of the first strong hints for GR.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted