Is a B.Sc-PCM student eligible to do M.Sc in Neuroscience?

In summary, as a PCM B.Sc student, you may be eligible to study M.Sc in Neuroscience depending on the requirements of the specific program. The scope of the subject is broad and there are many institutions that offer neuroscience programs. You can explore scholarships and admission requirements by researching different institutions and contacting their departments. Additionally, there may be other courses that are suitable for a practical study of the brain.
Vinay080
Gold Member
I am a PCM (Physics-Chemistry-Mathematics) B.Sc student. Will I be eligible to study M.Sc in Neuroscience? What is the scope of the subject? What are the best places to study? What are the scholarships I can look for? Which exams should I write?

I want to have practical study of brain, are there other courses (except the one mentioned above) suitable for me?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@Choppy: Can you help me here please?

Hi Vinay080,

I'm not an expert in neuroscience although I have done some work with neuroscientists. What I know is that neuroscience is a fairly broad field and so they can take candidates from a number of different disciplines, although the details are likely to vary from program to program and even project to project.

Your first step should be to search out a few institutions that are doing work that you're interested in. Every program should post admission requirements somewhere. There it will be clear which programs require the GRE, for example, and what kind of financial assistance is possible. And then, if you have further specific questions, just email the department.

Likes Vinay080

1. Can a student with a B.Sc in PCM pursue an M.Sc in Neuroscience?

Yes, a student with a Bachelor's degree in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM) is eligible to pursue a Master's degree in Neuroscience.

2. Are there any specific prerequisites for a B.Sc-PCM student to apply for an M.Sc in Neuroscience?

No, there are no specific prerequisites for a B.Sc-PCM student to apply for an M.Sc in Neuroscience. However, some universities may require certain undergraduate coursework in biology or psychology.

3. Will a B.Sc-PCM student have to take additional courses to be eligible for an M.Sc in Neuroscience?

It depends on the university's curriculum. Some universities may require students to take additional courses in biology or psychology before starting their M.Sc in Neuroscience. However, most universities offer bridge courses for students to catch up on any necessary knowledge.

4. Is a B.Sc-PCM student at a disadvantage compared to a B.Sc-Biology student when applying for an M.Sc in Neuroscience?

No, a B.Sc-PCM student is not at a disadvantage when applying for an M.Sc in Neuroscience. While a B.Sc-Biology student may have more background knowledge in biology, a B.Sc-PCM student may have a stronger foundation in quantitative and analytical skills, which are essential in neuroscience research.

5. What career opportunities are available for a B.Sc-PCM student after completing an M.Sc in Neuroscience?

There are various career opportunities available for a B.Sc-PCM student after completing an M.Sc in Neuroscience. Some possible career paths include research scientist, neuroscience consultant, medical science liaison, and pharmaceutical sales representative. Depending on the student's interests and skills, there may be more opportunities in fields such as data analysis, clinical research, or healthcare administration.