Is a bipartite system necessary for the proof of the PBR theorem?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof System Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
greypilgrim
Messages
583
Reaction score
45
Hi.

I'm trying to grasp what the PBR theorem is about. I'm not tackling the full version, but rather the simple example in @Demystifier's summary.

While I think I understand the mathematical steps, my question is why you need two systems to prove it. Is this only technical or more fundamental?

I mean it's not that surprising for a no-go theorem to make use of a bipartite system, but the crucial thing about that, such as in Bell's theorem, usually is that those systems are entangled. Here they just seem to be in a product state.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
my question is why you need two systems to prove it. Is this only technical or more fundamental?
It's not clear. Hardy found a different proof without assuming two systems, but he used an additional technical assumption the physical meaning of which is not entirely clear.
 
greypilgrim said:
I mean it's not that surprising for a no-go theorem to make use of a bipartite system, but the crucial thing about that, such as in Bell's theorem, usually is that those systems are entangled. Here they just seem to be in a product state
The measurements used for the contradiction are in the Bell basis though.