1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a math online B.A. degree of any value?

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    Is a math online B.S. degree of any value?

Hi, everyone,

I have already obtained a B.S. in physics. I am going to Cambridge to do Part III Math.
    There is one thing in my mind: my university does not offer a joint degree of math and physics. But I do like math! And I do want a B.S. degree in math! Call it a complex if you want. I am thinking of doing an online B.S. math program. Anyway I am going to learn lots of math courses by myself, so why not get a degree?

I am going to apply for PhD after graduation from Cambridge Part III. So actually the online B.S. degree may be useful (though very limited help).

What do you think? Is it a waste of time, or is it worth it?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sounds like a waste of time to me, part 3 will give you plenty of maths to study and then some!

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Can be an asset in the future, but most of it is useless if compared to what you are achieving.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, if you're going to learn the math courses independently anyway, then I agree that you might get a degree for it. So I'd say, go for it.
    Just don't expect it to be useful to your physics. Pure math will only be useful for theoretical/mathematical physicists. But if you like the stuff, study it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook