Is a math online B.A. degree of any value?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Stan Marsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Value
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of obtaining an online B.S. degree in math, especially for someone who has already completed a B.S. in physics and is planning to pursue a PhD in math. Some believe it may be a waste of time, while others see it as a potential asset for future opportunities. It is suggested that the degree may not be directly applicable to physics, but if the individual enjoys math, they should go for it.
Stan Marsh
Is a math online B.S. degree of any value?

Hi, everyone,

I have already obtained a B.S. in physics. I am going to Cambridge to do Part III Math.
There is one thing in my mind: my university does not offer a joint degree of math and physics. But I do like math! And I do want a B.S. degree in math! Call it a complex if you want. I am thinking of doing an online B.S. math program. Anyway I am going to learn lots of math courses by myself, so why not get a degree?

I am going to apply for PhD after graduation from Cambridge Part III. So actually the online B.S. degree may be useful (though very limited help).

What do you think? Is it a waste of time, or is it worth it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a waste of time to me, part 3 will give you plenty of maths to study and then some!

Can be an asset in the future, but most of it is useless if compared to what you are achieving.

Well, if you're going to learn the math courses independently anyway, then I agree that you might get a degree for it. So I'd say, go for it.
Just don't expect it to be useful to your physics. Pure math will only be useful for theoretical/mathematical physicists. But if you like the stuff, study it!

I understand the value of obtaining a degree in a specific field. In this case, a math degree, whether online or in-person, can be valuable in many ways.

Firstly, a degree in math can provide a solid foundation for further studies in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It also opens up opportunities for careers in data analysis, finance, and research.

While online degrees may not have the same level of hands-on experience as in-person degrees, they still provide a rigorous curriculum that covers the necessary theoretical concepts and practical skills. Moreover, with advancements in technology, online education has become more interactive and engaging, making it a viable option for those who cannot attend traditional universities.

Furthermore, obtaining a B.S. degree in math, whether online or in-person, shows dedication and commitment to the subject. It also demonstrates the ability to manage time and work independently, which are valuable skills in any field.

In terms of its usefulness for a PhD application, an online B.S. degree in math may not be as helpful as an in-person degree from a reputable university. However, it still shows a strong interest in the subject and a willingness to continue learning and improving one's skills.

In conclusion, I believe that a math online B.S. degree can be of value to individuals who are passionate about the subject and want to expand their knowledge and skills. It may not be as recognized as a traditional in-person degree, but it can still provide a solid foundation for further studies and career opportunities. Ultimately, the value of any degree lies in the effort and dedication put into obtaining it.

Related to Is a math online B.A. degree of any value?

1. Is a math online B.A. degree considered as valuable as an on-campus degree?

Yes, a math online B.A. degree is considered just as valuable as an on-campus degree. It is accredited by the same institutions and covers the same curriculum as a traditional degree.

2. Can I get the same quality of education with an online math B.A. degree?

Yes, you can get the same quality of education with an online math B.A. degree. Online programs often have the same professors and course materials as on-campus programs, and assignments and exams are held to the same standards.

3. Are there any differences in the job opportunities for online math B.A. degree holders?

No, there are no differences in job opportunities for online math B.A. degree holders. Employers value the skills and knowledge gained from an accredited math degree, regardless of how it was obtained.

4. How does an online math B.A. degree compare to a traditional degree in terms of cost?

An online math B.A. degree can be more cost-effective than a traditional degree. Online programs often have lower tuition fees and eliminate the need for additional expenses like transportation and housing.

5. Can I get the same support and resources with an online math B.A. degree as I would with an on-campus degree?

Yes, online math B.A. degree programs offer the same support and resources as on-campus programs. Students have access to virtual tutoring, online libraries, and academic advisors, just like traditional students.