Is a math online B.A. degree of any value?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Stan Marsh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Stan Marsh
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Is a math online B.S. degree of any value?

Hi, everyone,

I have already obtained a B.S. in physics. I am going to Cambridge to do Part III Math.
There is one thing in my mind: my university does not offer a joint degree of math and physics. But I do like math! And I do want a B.S. degree in math! Call it a complex if you want. I am thinking of doing an online B.S. math program. Anyway I am going to learn lots of math courses by myself, so why not get a degree?

I am going to apply for PhD after graduation from Cambridge Part III. So actually the online B.S. degree may be useful (though very limited help).

What do you think? Is it a waste of time, or is it worth it?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a waste of time to me, part 3 will give you plenty of maths to study and then some!
 
Can be an asset in the future, but most of it is useless if compared to what you are achieving.
 
Well, if you're going to learn the math courses independently anyway, then I agree that you might get a degree for it. So I'd say, go for it.
Just don't expect it to be useful to your physics. Pure math will only be useful for theoretical/mathematical physicists. But if you like the stuff, study it!