SF Bay Area night/part time undergrad physics programs?

In summary, the individual is looking for a night B.S. Physics program in the SF Bay Area due to their inability to switch jobs or stop working full time. They have a degree in Advertising and are looking to pursue a career in astronomy. However, it seems that obtaining a physics degree online is not effective and they may need to completely start their education over. The individual is seeking advice and insight on their plans for the future, as obtaining a physics degree does not guarantee a job in the field.
CosmicF
Does anyone know of any night B.S. Physics programs in the SF Bay Area? I can't switch jobs or stop working full time. I don't have the luxury to go back to school full time, nor extra financial support.

I want to go back to school for a completely different career path. I currently have a B.S. in Advertising that I never used and I work at a dead end job. It's not my passion.

I have always loved space and dreamed of being astronomy as a child. So before I let more time pass and get older, I want to pursue this dream now.

From what I can gather on some forum posts is that it is not wise or effective to attain a physics degree online, at least not for undergrad since lab work is a vital part of the education. And since my current degree is unrelated to any physics coursework, getting a masters degree in physics online appears out of the question. Seems like I'll need to completely start my education over.

Thank you for any insight and advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
CosmicF said:
Does anyone know of any night B.S. Physics programs in the SF Bay Area? I can't switch jobs or stop working full time. I don't have the luxury to go back to school full time, nor extra financial support.
This makes me think you might need to do a viability check on your plans for the future. For most people, studying for a physics degree is a full time job in itself and not something to do on the side. I am not trying to dissuade you, but it is something you should be aware of. Furthermore, obtaining a physics degree by no means guarantees that you will later find a job doing physics.

Likes Vanadium 50
I think Orodruin gives good advice. A BS and PhD takes about ten years full-time. Even if it were possible to do this part time, it would take 20-25 years.

1. What universities in the SF Bay Area offer night/part time undergraduate physics programs?

Some universities in the SF Bay Area that offer night/part time undergraduate physics programs include San Francisco State University, University of California Berkeley Extension, and California State University East Bay.

2. Can I work while pursuing a night/part time undergraduate physics program in the SF Bay Area?

Yes, many night/part time undergraduate physics programs in the SF Bay Area are designed for working professionals and offer flexible schedules to accommodate students who are working while pursuing their degree.

3. How long does it take to complete a night/part time undergraduate physics program in the SF Bay Area?

The length of time to complete a night/part time undergraduate physics program in the SF Bay Area varies depending on the university and the student's course load. On average, it may take 4-5 years to complete the program.

4. Are there any online options for night/part time undergraduate physics programs in the SF Bay Area?

Yes, some universities in the SF Bay Area may offer online or hybrid options for their night/part time undergraduate physics programs. However, it is important to check with each individual university for their specific program offerings.

5. Are there any financial aid options available for night/part time undergraduate physics programs in the SF Bay Area?

Yes, many universities in the SF Bay Area offer financial aid options for their night/part time undergraduate physics programs. This can include scholarships, grants, and loans. It is best to check with each individual university for their specific financial aid options and requirements.