SF Bay Area night/part time undergrad physics programs?

Does anyone know of any night B.S. Physics programs in the SF Bay Area? I can't switch jobs or stop working full time. I don't have the luxury to go back to school full time, nor extra financial support.

I want to go back to school for a completely different career path. I currently have a B.S. in Advertising that I never used and I work at a dead end job. It's not my passion.

I have always loved space and dreamed of being astronomy as a child. So before I let more time pass and get older, I want to pursue this dream now.

From what I can gather on some forum posts is that it is not wise or effective to attain a physics degree online, at least not for undergrad since lab work is a vital part of the education. And since my current degree is unrelated to any physics coursework, getting a masters degree in physics online appears out of the question. Seems like I'll need to completely start my education over.

Thank you for any insight and advice.

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Does anyone know of any night B.S. Physics programs in the SF Bay Area? I can't switch jobs or stop working full time. I don't have the luxury to go back to school full time, nor extra financial support.
This makes me think you might need to do a viability check on your plans for the future. For most people, studying for a physics degree is a full time job in itself and not something to do on the side. I am not trying to dissuade you, but it is something you should be aware of. Furthermore, obtaining a physics degree by no means guarantees that you will later find a job doing physics.

Likes Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I think Orodruin gives good advice. A BS and PhD takes about ten years full-time. Even if it were possible to do this part time, it would take 20-25 years.