1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is A.P. French's book good enough for waves?

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what book to use to learn about waves thoroughly. I have been self studying for quite a while now and I'm also taking classes at a community college. Those classes use Young and Freeman's University Physics. I decided to selfstudy because I found the content from that book to be somewhat unchallenging.

I have completed working through An intro to mechanics by kleppner, as well as Spacetime physics and I'm a couple of pages away of finishing Purcell's book.

I'm looking for advice on what to do next. Simply whats a book about waves at the level of the books I just mentioned? How much do I need to know about waves before I begin moving into stat mech/quantum? I have French's book, will that be good enough?

I ask this because I believe MIT uses French's plus another book about waves for their 8.03 class.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

French's book should be sufficient - it is a pretty good book in my opinion. The main thing it doesn't cover (if I recall correctly) is electromagnetic waves. If you find you are interested in electromagnetic waves at this level I highly recommend "Electromagnetic vibrations, waves, and radiation," by Bekefi and Barrett.

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook