Is a T-Test Suitable to Compare Paper and Online Registry Participation Rates?

• MHB
  • Thread starter bjrimel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the conversation is discussing a small intervention study comparing a paper-based registry to an online-based registry. In the 36 months of the paper-based registry, there were 185 participants, while in the 13 months of the online registry, there were 301 participants. The average participants per month in the paper-based registry was 5.1, while in the online registry it was 23. The goal is to prove that this difference is statistically significant, but there is currently no data on standard deviation. The suggestion is to use a t-test to compare the two independent groups, but there is a lack of information on standard deviation. There is also discussion on the best method of summarizing the data and the possibility of obtaining information
bjrimel
I have a small intervention study comparing a paper based registry versus an online based registry. In the 36 months of the paper based registry I had 185 participants in the 13 months of the online registry I had 301 participants.

The average participants per month in paper was 5.1 and online was 23.
I need to prove that this is "statistically significant".

I believe these are independent groups and should be compared with a t-test.
But I don't have any data on standard deviation. I have only the total number of enrolled participants and the length of time of enrollment.

Can someone help?

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
how come you have the means but not the standard deviations ?

you could try using the Poisson distribution

Keep in mind that a mean may not be a good method of summarizing your data, especially data with multiple peaks or long tails (or other deviations from an approximately normal distribution).

Are you certain you have no method at all to collect this data? Depending on how you executed both registries, I would expect a skewed distribution on the amount of registries collected per unit of time. If for instance you advertized your research after a lecture, you would expect to see a bump just after that.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure yet what you are trying to measure: you seem to be saying that you need to show with a certain level of certainty that both studies are independent on the variable 'date collected' ? (You do not prove differences in statistics, you reject the null hypothesis of no difference with a certain degree of certainty (for you probably a confidence interval).) What exactly do you want to do? Just explain it in normal language, e.g., I want to know if the groups had a different I.Q.)

PS. If this is what you want to measure, and you do have information on the dates these 'registers' where obtained: it is trivial to calculate standard deviations. It might also be possible to estimate the standard deviation, or at the very least attempt to construct a very conservative estimate.

Related to Is a T-Test Suitable to Compare Paper and Online Registry Participation Rates?

1. What is the purpose of analyzing data?

The purpose of analyzing data is to gain insights and make informed decisions based on the information gathered. It allows us to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data that can help us understand a particular phenomenon or problem.

2. What are the steps involved in analyzing data?

The steps involved in analyzing data typically include data collection, data cleaning, data organization, data exploration, data analysis, and data visualization. This process helps to ensure that the data is accurate, relevant, and easy to interpret.

3. What are the different methods of data analysis?

The different methods of data analysis include descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, data mining, and machine learning. These methods use various techniques and algorithms to extract meaningful information from the data.

4. What tools can be used for data analysis?

There are various tools available for data analysis, such as statistical software like SPSS and SAS, programming languages like R and Python, and data visualization tools like Tableau and Power BI. The choice of tool depends on the type of data and the analysis required.

5. How can I interpret the results of my data analysis?

To interpret the results of data analysis, it is important to have a clear understanding of the research question and the methods used for analysis. Visual aids like charts and graphs can also help in interpreting the data. Additionally, statistical tests can be used to determine the significance of the results.