"I'm always asked "How do you get enough protein?" This is by far one of the silliest questions I've come across. There is a ton of protein in soy products (tofu, tempeh, seitan etc.) and these are generally staples in a vegan/vegetarian diet. Most people only need about 50 grams/day. Women need less than men. I think men generally require about 50-60, whereas women need maybe 40-60."
The figure for physically inactive people is closer to 80g a day, deüending on size (make it roughly half a gram per pound of bodyweight).
But as soon as the person is invilved in physical activities, the requirements go up. I'm not only talking about a bodybuilder's or weightlifter's 200-300 g / day; endurance sports (as anything else that involves muscular work) increase the need for protein. I'd say a normal, moderately active person who, say, goes running or swimming 2-3 days a week and throws in some situps and pushups in the morning, should be getting between 100-150 g a day. Also, for women, it is very important to get more than their usual anoubt during pregnancy! It will affect the child throughout his or her life.
Actually most Westerners do not get enough protein in their diets, although they could if they wanted to.
One more thing: Plant protein is lower-quality than animal protein (meat and dairy). It has a different mix of amino acids and can only be used to the extent that the least-prevalent essential AS. For example, to build 100g of your own human protein, you need 100g of eggwhite protein OR around 120 grams of red meat protein OR around 170g or protein from soy.
Therefore, I personally believe eating vegan is not very smart from a nutritional point of view. You can debate about red meat as much as you want, but even vegetarians often say they can eat the way they do because of eggs and dairy. I don't see any rational reasons not to eat dairy (a cup of cottage cheese before bed will do wonders). It is very high-quality protein, too.