Is Ain't a legitimate word in today's language debate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
7,799
Reaction score
2,202
Interesting the discussion happening about "Use of the singular 'they' ".

Here is another for the members to play with:
"Ain't" is a word.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Ain't" is indeed a word. An informal or slang word, but a word nonetheless.
 
StatGuy2000, I note that you said, "informal or slang", but did not say "substandard". Good for you!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: StatGuy2000
It's better than "wanna" and "gonna". "I want to get a doctorate, and I'm going to do it! And hey, why aren't you guys taking me seriously!"
 
According to this wiki article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't, the first use of ain't was in the early 1600s, as a contraction of am not. Since amn't is difficult to wrap your tongue around, the contraction reverted to ain't. It subsequently grew to encompass many more meanings, as is not, are not, has not, have not, do not, and does not.

This seems like a very useful word in its original meaning, as a contraction of am not. We can answer a question like, "Are you ready?" with "No, I'm not." An alternative such as "No, I aren't" is ungrammatical, as is the even worse "No, I isn't." Although "No, I'm not," is grammatically correct, the lack of a first person counterpart to "you aren't" and "she isn't" must be confusing to people attempting to learn the language.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
Mark44 said:
We can answer a question like, "Are you ready?" with "No, I'm not." An alternative such as "No, I aren't" is ungrammatical,

I would never say "I aren't", but I would say "aren't I?". Funny, ain't it!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint and Bystander
IIRC the people on the right side of the Big Pond have been known to use a'n't which would seem to encompass both aren't and ain't.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
language changes over time, and the meaning of a word is its use in language.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint