Is all Math nothing more than addition?

• Thread starter Deicider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the conversation discusses whether all math is based on addition and subtraction, with the example of how multiplication can be seen as a form of repetitive addition. The error function is also brought up as an example of math that may not be based on addition. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that this topic has been discussed before on the forum.
Deicider
"Nothing more" makes it sound bad.

Do you think that all math is based on addition and subtraction?
For example multiplication is a method for repetitive addition, is all math in a form or another just a more complicated way to use addition/subtraction?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take the error function. I suppose with a crazy complicated algorithm it's possible to approximate it with addition, but it's definitely not based off of addition. Well, sort of, it's generally defined as an integral. But ... you know what I mean.

Whovian said:
Take the error function. I suppose with a crazy complicated algorithm it's possible to approximate it with addition, but it's definitely not based off of addition. Well, sort of, it's generally defined as an integral. But ... you know what I mean.

If i knew what you meant i wouldn't been posting this thread.

We discussed this kind of thing many times on this forum. Thread locked.

I would say that while addition and subtraction are fundamental operations in mathematics, they are certainly not the only ones. Math encompasses a wide range of concepts and techniques, including but not limited to multiplication, division, algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. Each of these branches of mathematics serves a specific purpose and allows us to solve different types of problems. To say that all math is nothing more than addition would be a gross oversimplification and undermines the complexity and importance of other mathematical principles. Addition and subtraction may be the building blocks of math, but they are just a small part of the larger picture. Without the other operations and concepts, we would not be able to fully understand and explain the world around us. So no, all math is not just addition and subtraction, and it is certainly not something to be viewed as "bad." In fact, mathematics is a fascinating and essential tool for understanding our universe.

1. Is addition the only operation in mathematics?

No, addition is not the only operation in mathematics. Other common operations include subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. All of these operations are used to solve various mathematical problems and are important in different areas of mathematics.

2. Can all mathematical concepts be reduced to addition?

No, not all mathematical concepts can be reduced to addition. While addition is an important and fundamental operation in mathematics, there are many other concepts and operations that are necessary for solving more complex problems. Addition alone cannot fully describe the entirety of mathematics.

3. Is addition the most important operation in mathematics?

It is difficult to say whether addition is the most important operation in mathematics as different operations are important in different areas of math. However, addition is a fundamental operation that is used in many different mathematical concepts and is essential for building a solid foundation in mathematics.

4. Is there any math that does not involve addition?

Yes, there are many areas of mathematics that do not involve addition. For example, geometry, which deals with the properties and relationships of shapes and space, does not typically involve addition. Additionally, statistics and probability also involve different operations and concepts than addition.

5. Can complex mathematical problems be solved using only addition?

No, complex mathematical problems often require the use of multiple operations, including addition, to be solved. Addition alone is not always sufficient to solve complex problems as other operations, such as multiplication and division, may also be necessary.