Math Myth: You cannot divide by 0

  • I
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Zero and infinity are not linked in any special way, except that they are both considered "special" in certain contexts. In summary, division by zero is not defined because zero has no connection to multiplication or division. There is no meaningful way to define a number that represents 0/0. Furthermore, there is no limit to the number of people you can "feed" because dividing by zero results in an undefined value. Zero and infinity are both conceptually different from other numbers and are not linked in any special way.
  • #1
19,451
10,043
From @fresh_42's Insight
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/10-math-things-we-all-learnt-wrong-at-school/

Please discuss!

This always sounded to me as if there was obscure mathematics police that forbids us to do so. Why? Well, there is actually a simple reason: ##0## hasn't the least to do with multiplication and even less with division. The question to divide by ##0## doesn't even arise! The neutral element for multiplication is ##1,## not ##0##. That belongs to addition. And there is only one way to combine the two, namely by the distributive law ##a\cdot(b+c)=a\cdot b+b\cdot c.## Let's pretend there was a meaningful way to define ##m=a:0.## Then $$a=m\cdot 0 = m\cdot (1-1)= m\cdot 1 - m\cdot 1= m-m =0$$ So can we at least divide ##a=0## by ##0## and get ##m##? I'm afraid not. Have a look at $$m\cdot a= \dfrac{0}{0}\cdot a = \dfrac{0\cdot a}{0\cdot 1}=\dfrac{0}{0}=m\Longrightarrow a=1$$ or $$2m=(1+1)\cdot m=m+m=\dfrac{0}{0}+\dfrac{0}{0}=\dfrac{0+0}{0}=\dfrac{0}{0}=m$$ and we could only multiply ##m## by ##1##. So even if we define ##m=0/0## we wouldn't get anything useful in the sense that it would be connected to any number we normally use for calculations.
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
  • #2
The normal statement is "division by zero is not defined".
It's not so much that you "cannot" do it. You can logically deduce that the value you seek is 0/0. But when you do, you probably want to try again, since 0/0 is most commonly of no practical use.
 
  • #3
What is the maximum number of people you can feed? Since you're not really feeding them something, there's no cap. If all seven billion people on the planet turn up at your door and demand their share of pizza, you should say "No problem!" because "their share of pizza" is meaningless. You might say the same thing if you added another seven billion people. What is the maximum number of people you can feed? There’s no answer.

There is no single answer when dividing a number by 0. To divide anything means to separate it into piles of a specific size. It doesn't make sense to break anything down into size zero piles.
 
  • #4
emmawarner96 said:
What is the maximum number of people you can feed? Since you're not really feeding them something, there's no cap. If all seven billion people on the planet turn up at your door and demand their share of pizza, you should say "No problem!" because "their share of pizza" is meaningless. You might say the same thing if you added another seven billion people. What is the maximum number of people you can feed? There’s no answer.
What you are describing is not division by zero. Here, you are dividing some finite number (1 pizza) by a relatively large number, not zero. In the first case, each person would get ##\frac 1{7,000,000,000}##th of the pizza. In the second case, each person would get a slice that was half as large.

Actually, there is at least a theoretical limit to how small the shares could be, since the pizza contains some large number of pizza "molecules." Once we get down to shares that are only a single "molecule" (I realize that there is no such thing as a pizza molecule, but you probably get the idea), then we can't divide the pizza any further with each person getting a piece of the pizza.

If "pizza molecule" bothers you, just take it a bit further down to the atomic level.
 
  • #5
Mark44 said:
What you are describing is not division by zero. Here, you are dividing some finite number (1 pizza) by a relatively large number, not zero. In the first case, each person would get ##\frac 1{7,000,000,000}##th of the pizza. In the second case, each person would get a slice that was half as large.

Actually, there is at least a theoretical limit to how small the shares could be, since the pizza contains some large number of pizza "molecules." Once we get down to shares that are only a single "molecule" (I realize that there is no such thing as a pizza molecule, but you probably get the idea), then we can't divide the pizza any further with each person getting a piece of the pizza.

If "pizza molecule" bothers you, just take it a bit further down to the atomic level.
If we cannot divide by zero then is it not considered a number?

A number on the number line -2, -1, 0, 1, 2?

The number between -1 and 1?

Dividing a number by -1 has a value also 1 and also 0.1, 0.01, 0.001 etc ie approaching infinity so what is happening between the area where everything is undefined before it appears on the negative side?
With something mysterious in between?

Ie is this an infinity is a concept not a number issue? Are Zero and infinity somehow inextricably linked?

None mathematician view of the question
 
  • #6
pinball1970 said:
If we cannot divide by zero then is it not considered a number?

A number on the number line -2, -1, 0, 1, 2?

The number between -1 and 1?
Zero is a number. The fact that division by zero is not defined has no bearing on whether it is a number.
pinball1970 said:
Dividing a number by -1 has a value also 1 and also 0.1, 0.01, 0.001 etc ie approaching infinity so what is happening between the area where everything is undefined before it appears on the negative side?
With something mysterious in between?
Not sure what you're asking here. You can divide any real number by any other real number except zero. The divisor can be as small as you like, just as long as it is not zero.
pinball1970 said:
Ie is this an infinity is a concept not a number issue? Are Zero and infinity somehow inextricably linked?
Yes, infinity is a concept unless you're talking about the extended real numbers.
 
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970

Related to Math Myth: You cannot divide by 0

What is the concept of dividing by 0?

Dividing by 0 means trying to divide a number by 0, which results in an undefined answer. It is mathematically impossible to divide any number by 0.

Why is it considered a myth that you cannot divide by 0?

It is considered a myth because many people mistakenly believe that the answer to dividing by 0 is 0. However, in reality, dividing by 0 is undefined and cannot be solved.

What happens when you try to divide by 0 on a calculator?

When you try to divide by 0 on a calculator, most calculators will give an error message or display "undefined" as the answer. This is because dividing by 0 is mathematically impossible.

Are there any exceptions to the rule of not being able to divide by 0?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. Dividing by 0 will always result in an undefined answer.

Why is it important to understand that you cannot divide by 0?

It is important to understand this concept because it is a fundamental rule in mathematics. Trying to divide by 0 can lead to incorrect calculations and can also cause confusion in more advanced mathematical concepts.

Similar threads

  • General Math
Replies
14
Views
1K
  • General Math
5
Replies
142
Views
7K
  • General Math
Replies
4
Views
929
  • General Math
Replies
17
Views
1K
Replies
4
Views
959
  • Advanced Physics Homework Help
2
Replies
36
Views
2K
  • Math Proof Training and Practice
2
Replies
61
Views
6K
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
Replies
3
Views
563
Replies
5
Views
2K
Back
Top