Is an invisible LED mouse more accurate than one with a red LED?

Ephant
I have a bluetooth Logitech M557 mouse with invisible led (it's written "invisible optics underneath) that I had for 5 years and I could use on any surface most often on a pure white bond paper. It can move smoothly. My only problem at present is the buttons are not so stable now due to dusts collected inside the switch (which I couldn't remove totally) or other problems.

I bought an A4tech 620D with red led. It has difficulty moving smooth in the bond paper. When I bought a mouse cloth-like pad. It can finally move smoothly.

Are white led generallly more accurate? Why? Or is it due to the unique model or build of the Logitech M557?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It probably depends more on which and how much brightener is used in the paper than on the color of the light. That said, the spectral response of the sensor could make the difference.(Infrared has a longer wavelength than visible light so that would reduce the spatial resolution.)

The popular optical mouse, originated by Hewlett-Packard (HP) several decades ago as I recall, consists of a 3x3 photosensor (a 9 pixel camera) and some processing. The times I've used a sheet of paper as a mouse pad, sometimes it worked fine and sometimes it didn't, it was also direction sensitive. My desktop is white with a little bit of texture, except for a shiny spot where I used the mouse for a while. I now use a mouse pad because the cursor movement will sometimes get erratic on that shiny area -- besides, a mouse pad adds a little bit of friction that makes the mouse more controllable; without that friction it's like walking on ice or a soapy tile floor!

Well, I probably didn't answer your question, but at least now you have a little more information, and history!

I just tried the mouse on a manilla envelope and got intermittent movement on various areas of the envelope.

Cheers,
Tom

Ephant said:
Are white led generallly more accurate?
As white is the composite of different wavelengths, each as a possible way to sense the movements of those small fluctuations in intensity (compared to the standard monochrome, of any colour), it might be.
But in general, the build of the actual device will be the most important.

Rive said:
As white is the composite of different wavelengths, each as a possible way to sense the movements of those small fluctuations in intensity (compared to the standard monochrome, of any colour), it might be.
But in general, the build of the actual device will be the most important.

I didn't mean white led. I mean invisible IR led.

You wrote white there.
IR is just another monochrome.

Rive said:
You wrote white there.
IR is just another monochrome.

It was a typo. I meant invisible.