Can RGB LED simulate incandescent bulb 'glow'?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to recreate the soft amber-yellow glow of an incandescent bulb using a strip of RGB LEDs and a controller. While the LEDs allow for fine and smooth control of each color, they are unable to fully replicate the warm filament color. This is due to the metamer effect and the narrow-band nature of RGB LEDs compared to the wide-band, red-shifted filament bulb. The individual also considered using actual filament colored LEDs, but they do not provide as much control over the color. Ultimately, the individual ended up purchasing filament auto bulbs to achieve the desired effect. However, they still express curiosity about the possibility of duplicating a filament glow with RGB LEDs.
NTL2009
Maybe more of an optics/biology question than electrical, but...

My wife wanted some lighting on a cabinet nick-knack shelf. I thought it would be fun/interesting to use a strip of RGB LEDs and a controller to adjust the light color to whatever we wanted, plus the LEDs would be less heat and mostly low voltage wiring.

I bought a strip of 5050 LEDs and a controller with an individual pot and PWM output for each color. It seems to work as expected, giving fine/smooth control of each color. I didn't put it on a scope or reverse engineer the controller, but I'm pretty sure it's an analog control over PWM, smooth adjustments, not steps. I can get full R, G or B, and all the color mixes you'd expect with R-G, R-B, and G-B, and all 3 for bright white to a tinted white with adjustments.

But... I just can't seem to duplicate that soft amber-yellow glow of an incandescent bulb. I start with RED, bring up the GREEN, and I get close, but then it starts getting too green before I seem to reach a nice amber. Turning up the BLUE doesn't seem to help, it just moves it towards purple-ish.

Is it possible? Or is the monochromatic nature of LEDS mixing narrow-band RGB just too different to our eyes compared to the wide-band, red-shifted filament bulb?

I ended up buying some filament auto bulbs, 5W dome-light style (hard to find on a search, the LED versions come up to the top of the list!), and powering 3 of them with a 9V supply, measuring ~ 2.7W each - so not so much heat, nice amber glow, and will have a very long life at that lower voltage.

But I'm still curious, and I may want to use this strip somewhere else in the future - can I duplicate a filament glow from RGB LEDs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
See Metamer.
So the answer is no.
It turns out that the flesh tones are particularly difficult to match (much to the chagrin of color TV designers of yore).

Likes NTL2009
Maybe replacing the LEDs with amber ones?
Or there are those LED filaments in - well, in filament colors, since they are meant to fake incadescent filaments o0)
s330529193385665136_p196_i4_w997.jpg

Likes NTL2009
Thanks for those replies. I was pretty sure that the metamer effect was in play, just didn't know what to call it, or if that was the actual reason. Interesting write up.

Yes, I considered actual filament colored LEDs, but that wouldn't give me control over the color, and you never know just how they look until you try them. I just read up to verify, but those work by using a phosphor, excited a blue LED, so unlike RGB, they seem to be able to find a better match to a warm filament. And it looks like the phosphors are more wide-band.

It's disappointing that the RGB won't quite get there, having the ability to change the color with that controller was nice. I can at least get 'moods' with red, green, blue, orange, purple, cyan, white and lots in-between. Just not the amber shade that I wanted!

BTW, for reference, here's what I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GY6WM2/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4Y7Z4C/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Likes Rive and hutchphd

1. Can RGB LED lights produce the same warm glow as incandescent bulbs?

Yes, RGB LED lights can produce a similar warm glow as incandescent bulbs. By adjusting the color temperature and brightness of the RGB LEDs, the light can be made to resemble the warm, yellowish hue of incandescent bulbs.

2. Do RGB LED lights have the same color temperature range as incandescent bulbs?

No, RGB LED lights have a wider color temperature range than incandescent bulbs. Incandescent bulbs typically have a color temperature of around 2700K, while RGB LEDs can range from 2000K to 6500K, allowing for a wider range of warm to cool tones.

3. Can RGB LED lights be dimmed to simulate the dimming effect of incandescent bulbs?

Yes, RGB LED lights can be dimmed to simulate the dimming effect of incandescent bulbs. By adjusting the brightness and color temperature, the light can be dimmed to create a similar effect as incandescent bulbs.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using RGB LED lights to simulate incandescent bulb 'glow'?

One potential drawback is that RGB LED lights may not have the same level of color accuracy as incandescent bulbs. This means that the color of objects may appear slightly different under the RGB LED light compared to under an incandescent bulb.

5. Can RGB LED lights be used in the same fixtures as incandescent bulbs?

It depends on the type of fixture. RGB LED lights can be used in some fixtures that are designed for incandescent bulbs, but not all. It is important to check the compatibility of the fixture before using RGB LED lights as a replacement for incandescent bulbs.