1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is an undergraduate degree for math the same in russia as it is from canada?

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    I heard Russian education makes highschoolers do 2nd year university math leveled questions (Things like ODE and Laplace Transforms, analysis, linear algebra, etc) while they're in grade 12. I'm not sure if this is true though but if they do, wouldn't that mean their undergraduate degree for math is better than something in canada? Since they're already ahead by 2 years,I'd imagine they'd have a stronger math degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
    I'd imagine it to be the same as any other University because it would be odd to have one country which is far superior mathematically after undergaduate. In fact, in Korea, Japan and Eastern Pacific countries their Mathematics in High school is more advanced but they tend to go to North American Universities because our University education is more fulfilling and Stronger. Inevitably if you pursue a Mathematics degree your knowledge of the subject will most likely be symmetric to other Mathematics undergraduates (This is just an assumption).

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3
    I think it is one-year ahead comparing with our Asian counterparts.

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
    I would also like to point out that just because a certain region is exposed to more advanced mathematics at a younger age doesn't make their programs stronger. Speed isn't always the best measure of quality.

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    Absolutely subjective point of view.
    To evaluate school education you may pay attention to Schoolboys International Challenges on Phys and Math.
    There is no (to my point of veiw) students competition on Physics. But it is interesting to analyse ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest results. No country stands close to Russia in terms of gold medal winners during last years and in terms of university teams among top 15. The individual contest (TCCC) 1st prize wend to a student of Moscow State for a 2nd time in a row.

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6
    I know this is an old thread, but it's an interesting topic. As far as this comment is concerned, I would say the most important reason why people from those countries go to study in North America is either that they want to immigrate there or think the "prestige" will help them in their careers back home. Save for those that really can't get access to a decent education back home, I don't think the reason you stated plays a role at all.

8. Jul 20, 2011 #7
    I'm inclined to agree with Ryker on this one.

The MIPT seem to believe that their six-year curriculum in science is equal to a (BS, followed by an MS and then PhD) PhD from an American university. Just read around their website and see for yourself...

9. Jul 20, 2011 #8
    Why would that be odd? And knowing more subjects doesn't mean that you are mathematically superior, just that you are broader which doesn't help that much once you start getting into research.

10. Jul 20, 2011 #9
    Knowing more subjects absolutely helps you during research. It happens often that you run into a new topic that has similarities to other subjects. Recognizing these similarities helps a great deal in the long run.

The more you know, the better your research will go.

11. Jul 27, 2011 #10
    Recently finished International Mathematics Olympiad brought Russian participants six medals – 2 gold and 4 silver medals.

This year Russian mathematics team consisted of schoolchildren from Moscow, Kazan, St. Petersburg, Magnitogorsk and Ulyanovsk. The team’s achievements have placed it on the fourth position in global team rating, which is slightly worse than last year, when Russian team ranked second.

This year the first place in this contest, also known as world championship in mathematics, went to China. The second place went to the team of United States, and the third position was deservedly taken by the team from Singapore.

Today over 100 countries from 5 continents participate in the contest.

Reference: http://strf.ru/material.aspx?CatalogId=222&d_no=41243 (sorry, its in Russian)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook