Is anyone here involved in MINOS?

• Thread starter arunma
  • Start date
In summary, the recent results from MINOS show that the neutrino oscillations are more complex than originally thought. There are also plans to study the neutrino oscillations in the future.
arunma
Is anyone here involved in MINOS? A couple of the graduate schools I've applied to have professors who are involved in this experiment, and I would be interested in becoming involved as a graduate student. So I'd be interested to hear about some of the results that have already come out of MINOS, and what projects will be looked at in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
A Google search turns up links to MINOS web sites at Fermilab and U of Minnesota, among others, which should have information about recent developments:

http://www.google.com/search?q=minos+neutrino+oscillations

Interesting you mention the U of M. Actually I did my undergrad at the U of Minnesota, and I've applied to their graduate program as well. So I've heard a bit about MINOS during my time here. Do you know what other universities are involved in this experiment?

The first hit on the Google search results page that I referenced, is the MINOS site at Fermilab, which has on its home page a link to the following press release about recent results:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/press_releases/minos_3-30-06.html

Near the bottom, you'll see a list of participating institutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
The first hit on the Google search results page that I referenced, is the MINOS site at Fermilab, which has on its home page a link to the following press release about recent results:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/press_releases/minos_3-30-06.html

Near the bottom, you'll see a list of participating institutions.

Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm involved in MINOS, although I'm relatively new to the experiment. My 'big picture' knowledge of the experiment doesn't go much beyond that press release, but I am currently learning about and doing work on Monte Carlo simulations of the detectors.

1. What is MINOS?

MINOS stands for Main Injector Neutrino Oscillation Search and it is a long-baseline neutrino oscillation experiment that takes place in the United States. It is designed to study the phenomenon of neutrino oscillation, which is the transformation of one type of neutrino into another.

2. What is the goal of the MINOS experiment?

The main goal of the MINOS experiment is to measure the parameters that govern neutrino oscillation, such as the mass differences between different types of neutrinos and the mixing angles that describe how they transform from one type to another. This information can help us better understand the nature of neutrinos and their role in the universe.

3. How does the MINOS experiment work?

The MINOS experiment uses a beam of muon neutrinos produced at Fermilab in Illinois and sends them 735 kilometers through the Earth to a detector in Minnesota. Along the way, the neutrinos can transform into other types, and the detector measures the rate and pattern of these transformations to determine the values of the oscillation parameters.

4. Who is involved in the MINOS experiment?

The MINOS experiment is an international collaboration of scientists from over 30 institutions and 5 countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Brazil, Korea, and Greece. It involves physicists, engineers, technicians, and students who work together to design, build, and operate the experiment.

5. What are some recent findings from the MINOS experiment?

The MINOS experiment has made several important discoveries about neutrino oscillation, including the first measurement of the mass difference between two types of neutrinos and the first observation of a rare type of oscillation called "neutrino disappearance." These findings have greatly contributed to our understanding of neutrinos and their properties.