Is anything on Earth- 4 dimensional? 2 dimensional? 1 dimensional?

• Thread starter ronandkryn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, according to the summarizer, there are only three dimensions on Earth---three spatial dimensions and one temporal dimension. Everything in our universe is subject to a 4-dimensional space-time, which includes the dimensions of mass, charge, time, and space. There are no objects in or on Earth that are one dimensional. Two dimensions are designs, figures, flat drawings, but have zero depth and can only be preceived as a thought. The fourth dimension is a combination of two or more of the three dimensions and can freely move through each other. Everything in our universe is embedded in a 4-dimensional manifold we call space-time.

As preceived by the ordinary human experience Earth has a maximum of Three Dimensions

• YES

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • NO

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ronandkryn
Is anything on Earth--- 4 dimensional? 2 dimensional? 1 dimensional?

As you can see now, I'm really confused. And I apologize for the question.

I was always taught that I am living exclusively within a three dimensional Earth.
Is there anything in or on Earth that is one dimensional? I think that I was taught that one dimension was simply directional lines that could only be preceived as a thought.

I think that we learned that two dimensions were designs, figures, flat drawings but had zero depth and could only be preceived as a thought.

The way I learned it was that the fourth dimension was basically a combination of two or more of the three dimensions; and that they were not tied to any location and that they could freely move through each other.

I'm sure that all this is hopelessly simplified, but the only answer that I am trying to get is whether there are only three dimensions on Earth.

Physics news on Phys.org

Our entire universe is subject to a 3+1-dimensional space-time, 3 spatial dimensions and 1 temporal dimension. Everything in our universe is therefore embedded in a 4-dimentional manifold we call space-time.

If we keep to the three spatial dimentions and ask if there are 2- or 1-dimensional objects in our universe, ask yourself, what would be their properties? What would they be made of? Mass and charge densities would have to be infinite or momoent of inertia would have to be zero. Atoms, of which matter is formed, exist in 3 dimentions.

So there cannot be anything non-3-dimensional objects in the universe.

Interfaces between immiscible fluids are essentially 2-dimensional. Electrons are 0-dimensional to the limits of experimental error.

What do you mean by "dimension"? For me, and I think most people, a dimension is just a way of assigning a numerical label to something. Physics deals with "events"- thing that happen at a specific place at a specific time. In order to designate a specific our experience is that three numbers are required. An additional number is required to specify the time of the event. I think it would be better to ask, "Is there any event in our world that is not four dimensional".

Of course, string theory computations require more dimensions- supposedly those are "rolled up" so small we don't notice them. But that is far from the standard theory at present.

HallsofIvy said:
In order to designate a specific our experience is that three numbers are required. An additional number is required to specify the time of the event.

You could argue that there are five dimensions, 4 spatial and one for time. The fourth spatial dimension modifies the normal x,y,z dimensions. In calculating the position of an object relative to another you need to take this 4th dimension into account - a bit difficult because it varies according to the varying strength (and direction) of the gravitational field that exists between the objects.

You might consider the image on a movie screen two dimensional.

Nickelodeon said:
You could argue that there are five dimensions, 4 spatial and one for time. The fourth spatial dimension modifies the normal x,y,z dimensions. In calculating the position of an object relative to another you need to take this 4th dimension into account - a bit difficult because it varies according to the varying strength (and direction) of the gravitational field that exists between the objects.

Thank you so very much.
For the first time ever, by explaining it this way, it seems to make sense to me.
ronandkryn

Graphene is a purely two-dimentional substnance.

Not entirely: after taking the the atoms into account, graphene has a width of 2 times the covalent bonding radius of Carbon. My exact number might be off, but graphene is 3-d.

Also, aren't all shadows n-1 dimensions relative to an n-dimensional object? So a 3-d object, which we can all agree exists, casts a shadow, correct? Thus, this shadow exists. Also, since the object was 3-d, the shadow is 2-d, thus, a 2-d object exists.

Why I just did all of that instead of just saying shadows, I do not know.

But aren't shadows cast on a surface which at the molecular level will have irregularities making it a 3-d structure?

Char. Limit said:
Not entirely: after taking the the atoms into account, graphene has a width of 2 times the covalent bonding radius of Carbon. My exact number might be off, but graphene is 3-d.

Also, aren't all shadows n-1 dimensions relative to an n-dimensional object? So a 3-d object, which we can all agree exists, casts a shadow, correct? Thus, this shadow exists. Also, since the object was 3-d, the shadow is 2-d, thus, a 2-d object exists.

Why I just did all of that instead of just saying shadows, I do not know.

I don't like wikipedia as much as the next science fan, but from the source:

"Graphene is a flat monolayer of carbon atoms tightly packed into a two-dimensional (2D) honeycomb lattice, and is a basic building block for graphitic materials of all other dimensionalities. It can be wrapped up into 0D fullerenes, rolled into 1D nanotubes or stacked into 3D graphite.[1]"

Some would suggest, with a great deal of support, that our known Universe is a 3-D world on the 'surface' of a 4-D space of some sort. Much like the 2-D surface on the 3-D spherical orange...
That means that if you were to send out a laser beam directly in front of you that many, many years later it would return to you--from behind!

Wikipedia also says "Graphene is a one-atom-thick planar sheet ..."

Is anything on Earth 4 dimensional?

No, nothing on Earth exists in four dimensions. Our physical world is made up of three dimensions: length, width, and height. The concept of a fourth dimension is primarily theoretical and is used in mathematical models.

Is anything on Earth 2 dimensional?

No, nothing on Earth can be considered purely 2 dimensional. Even the thinnest objects, such as a sheet of paper, have some thickness and therefore exist in three dimensions. However, there are some objects or phenomena that can be approximated as 2 dimensional, such as a shadow or a map.

Is anything on Earth 1 dimensional?

No, it is not possible for anything to exist in one dimension in our physical world. One dimension refers to a point along a single line, and any object or phenomenon would need to have some width or depth to exist in three dimensions.

Can humans perceive higher dimensions?

No, our brains are not equipped to perceive dimensions beyond the three that make up our physical world. However, through mathematical models and abstract thinking, scientists can conceptualize and study higher dimensions.

Are there any known examples of higher dimensions on Earth?

No, there are no known examples of higher dimensions on Earth. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory, propose the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three we experience. These dimensions are thought to be too small for us to perceive or interact with in our daily lives.