Is AP Physics B really worthless?

In summary: Because of this, you would need to take additional physics classes in order to get the 5 credits you need for MIT.
f25274
I signed up for Physics B because my teacher said it was broad and could help me in getting an engineering degree.
I actually found out that a lot of schools don't accept AP Physics B for college credit.
MIT accepts credit for AP Physics C if there is a 5 on both exams.
It's too late to change now, but is it truly worthless to learn physics B?

sorry if this is in the wrong section :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there is thermodynamics and waves on Physics B, it isn't too bad. Everything else is garbage though

I wouldn't go straight to worthless. I got 10 credits for it (Intro I and II, both 5 credits, and I sure don't go to MIT) albeit they were for algebra-based. I still took calculus-based, but the stuff I learned in AP Physics B (like E&M, thermodynamics and waves, optics) were helpful. It can't hurt to keep taking physics classes.

It's better than learning no physics.

If you're concurrently enrolled in calculus (say at AB or BC level), then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Any good student enrolled in Physics B and calculus (with somewhat decent teachers or just some willingness to learn) should know that it's not hard to cover Physics C material a few months before the AP exam. It should suffice just to read through Barron's, ideally as soon as you've completed a relevant corresponding topic in physics B. MIT OCW lectures and the Halliday Resnick text could serve as additional references.

Also remember that AP exams are stupid. For one, many of the questions on the C exam are either straight up basic physics questions without calculus, or some basic concept that requires a calculus computation (e.g. calculate mechanical work). This applies to both the MC and FRQ portion. For instance, the year I took the exam, 1 of the 3 mechanics problems was essentially a straight up ODE problem related to terminal velocity (pretty standard). Also note that in some previous years, you needed to get something slightly below 60% of the total possible points on the physics C exam to get a 5 (this number doesn't fluctuate much). Basically, this means that if you're used to passing exams on a regular basis, as any decent prospective engineering major should, this should not be a problem.

So, don't worry too much about the actual exam. Though perhaps you might want to actually learn some physics.

Last edited:
60%? I expected the 5 range to be at least 80% and up. So the actual exam isn't that useful but the materials learned are useful? That makes me feel better about taking it :) I'll just keep that in mind.

f25274 said:
MIT accepts credit for AP Physics C if there is a 5 on both exams.

MIT has rather strict requirements for AP credit. The problem with Physics B is that it doesn't have calculus and all MIT students are expected to know calculus.

1. What is AP Physics B and why is it considered worthless?

AP Physics B was a course offered by the College Board as part of their Advanced Placement (AP) program. It covered the concepts of Newtonian mechanics, fluid mechanics, and thermal physics. It is considered worthless because the course was discontinued in 2014 and replaced by two new courses, AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2, which cover more topics and are seen as more rigorous by colleges and universities.

2. Is AP Physics B still recognized by colleges and universities?

Yes, AP Physics B is still recognized by colleges and universities as a valid AP course, but it may not fulfill the same requirements as the new AP Physics 1 and 2 courses. It is always best to check with the specific college or university to see their AP credit policies.

3. Will taking AP Physics B help me prepare for college?

Yes, taking AP Physics B can still help you prepare for college. The course covers fundamental concepts in physics that will be beneficial for students pursuing a wide range of science and engineering majors. However, taking the newer AP Physics 1 and 2 courses may provide a more comprehensive and rigorous preparation.

4. Are there any advantages to taking AP Physics B over the new AP Physics 1 and 2 courses?

One potential advantage is that AP Physics B is a single course, while the new AP Physics 1 and 2 courses are divided into two separate courses. This may make it easier for students to fit into their schedule and manage their workload. Additionally, some colleges may still offer credit for AP Physics B, while not accepting credit for the new courses.

5. Can I still take the AP Physics B exam even though the course has been discontinued?

Yes, the AP Physics B exam is still offered by the College Board. However, it is recommended that students take the newer AP Physics 1 and 2 exams if possible, as they cover more topics and may be seen as more rigorous by colleges and universities.