Self Study for AP Physics B or Stick with AP Physics 1 Next Year?

In summary, there have been changes to the AP Physics B test and it will now be split into two courses, AP Physics 1 and 2. This raises concerns for a high school junior who had planned to take AP Physics B in their senior year. They are also currently taking AP Calc AB and AP Stats and plan to major in aerospace or mechanical engineering. They are wondering if they should self-study and take the AP Physics B exam this year or continue with AP Physics 1 next year. It is advised to consider their goals and whether self-studying will benefit them in terms of college admissions.
idkhowtoschool
Hello

It has come to my attention that the AP Physics B test is being replaced with AP Physics 1 and 2 for the 2014/15 school year. I'm currently a junior in high school enrolled in a CP Physics course, and I had planned to take AP Physics B in my senior year. However, with these changes, I obviously don't have two years to take both the AP Physics classes (assuming my school will continue to fund these classes).

Also, I would like to add that I am currently taking AP Calc AB and AP Stats. I plan to take AP Calc BC next year and later major in aerospace or mechanical engineering. I am not looking to simply 'skip' physics in college, but I don't want to feel like I have only taken half a course by only taking AP Physics 1.

Should I self study and attempt to take the AP Physics B exam this year? Or should I continue with AP Physics 1 next year? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, think of what it is you want to do.

If you want to skip college courses, you will need AP physics C (and probably more self study).

If all you want is to get a taste of physics and let admissions officers see that you at least took some HS physics, then regular or B level physics serve the same purpose.

Something to remember, though, is that what you self study in senior year does not count for admissions.

If you self study B this year, what will you take next year?

1. What is AP Physics B and why is it important to self study?

AP Physics B is a high school level physics course that covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is important to self study because it allows students to deepen their understanding of the material and prepare for the AP exam, which can potentially earn them college credit.

2. How can I self study for AP Physics B?

There are several ways to self study for AP Physics B, including using online resources, textbooks, and practice exams. It is important to create a study schedule and focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

3. Is self studying for AP Physics B difficult?

Self studying for AP Physics B can be challenging, as it requires a strong grasp of mathematical concepts and critical thinking skills. However, with dedication and consistent practice, it is possible to successfully self study for this course.

4. What are some tips for self studying AP Physics B?

Some tips for self studying AP Physics B include breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, practicing with past AP exam questions, and seeking help from online forums or tutors if needed. It is also important to stay organized and review material regularly.

5. How can I determine if self studying for AP Physics B is right for me?

Self studying for AP Physics B is a good option for students who are self-motivated, have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, and are able to manage their time effectively. It is also important to have a genuine interest in physics and a willingness to put in the necessary effort to succeed.