Is Aung San Suu Kyi facing backlash for her silence on the Rakhine conflict?

• News
  • Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary, the Burmese military authorities have released pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest. The Nobel committee has invited her to give her Nobel Laureate lecture in Oslo. This release was previously scheduled and coincidentally took place after the country's "election". Suu Kyi has been cautious about criticizing the current government and appears to be taking a less intense approach to avoid being placed under house arrest again. There are speculations that the government is using the recent Rakhine conflict to discredit her. Despite this, it is seen as a positive step for democracy in Burma.
Physics news on Phys.org
So am I.

The Nobel committee has already officially invited her to hold her Nobel Laureate lecture here in Oslo (19 years after she was awarded the peace Prize), if she so wishes.

Last time she was freed, in 2002, she declined, because she feared she would not be allowed to re-enter Burma.

Yay! I hope this bodes well for Burma.

Years ago I had a computer science prof whose wife was Burmese. They had to go back to take care of her mother, who was having health problems. He was very, very concerned about returning - felt it was extremely dangerous but also felt he didn't have a choice. He didn't come back on the day he was scheduled to return. I never heard how, or if, he got out :cry:.

Aha! This is interesting, and good!

A few months ago, I heard about the release of one of Suu Kyi's allies, and also a long time political prisoner (somewhat ironically, I read this just after I read an opinion either in NYT or WaPo about Burma spitting on Obama's efforts at diplomacy). I then began wondering if Suu Kyi's release might happen just before their "election", to assuage public sentiment, but naturally, that would have been too risky (of course, I would have still expected the junta to prevent her party from being on the ballot).

A small step in the context of the big picture, perhaps, but a positive step nonetheless.

Gokul43201 said:
Aha! This is interesting, and good!

A few months ago, I heard about the release of one of Suu Kyi's allies, and also a long time political prisoner (somewhat ironically, I read this just after I read an opinion either in NYT or WaPo about Burma spitting on Obama's efforts at diplomacy). I then began wondering if Suu Kyi's release might happen just before their "election", to assuage public sentiment, but naturally, that would have been too risky (of course, I would have still expected the junta to prevent her party from being on the ballot).

A small step in the context of the big picture, perhaps, but a positive step nonetheless.

According to the https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bm.html":

AUNG SAN SUU KYI's house arrest was due to end in May 2009, but was extended for eighteen months after she was convicted for violating the terms of her house arrest.

So this release was previously scheduled (conveniently, just after the "election"). Of course the surprising thing was, they junta did what they said what they would do, and released her.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Yay! I hope this bodes well for Burma.

Years ago I had a computer science prof whose wife was Burmese. They had to go back to take care of her mother, who was having health problems. He was very, very concerned about returning - felt it was extremely dangerous but also felt he didn't have a choice. He didn't come back on the day he was scheduled to return. I never heard how, or if, he got out :cry:.

She also went to Burma to take care of her ill mother but got house arrested. Later, her husband got prostate cancer but Burma did not allow him to enter. She did not want to leave fearing that she wouldn't be able to get in.

lisab said:
So this release was previously scheduled (conveniently, just after the "election"). Of course the surprising thing was, they junta did what they said what they would do, and released her.
I didn't know this (or have long forgotten). Had the date of the election already been picked back then?

Gokul43201 said:
I didn't know this (or have long forgotten). Had the date of the election already been picked back then?

Good question, I really don't know.

Edit: Here's a link from August 2009:

http://www.earthrights.org/about/ne...d-18-months-house-arrest-trial-condemned-sham

Many analysts speculate the main reason for the charges against Ms. Suu Kyi is to give Burma's military government an excuse to keep her out of next year's planned elections; elections already condemned as a tool to entrench military rule and an attempt to increase the junta’s legitimacy. Her previous period of house arrest expired on 27 May, and the new term of 18 months will mean she will remain in detention during the polls, which are expected to happen in May 2010.

Another link on the same story:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124996714733221921.html

Last edited:
If only for the sake of Ms. Suu Kyi this is good news, but unless she pulls a Mandela this is just good news for her and moral support for a democratic movement.

Wonderful news for Burma but probably only in the long term. I haven't followed recent events much, but the cynical part of me suspects there's politics and money behind it somewhere (usually is), improved trade relations or something.

rootX said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11752993

She is very cautious about criticizing current government/leaders.

I'm sure that it was made very clear to her just what she could and couldn't say, or she'd be back under house arrest. She may be trying a "Mandela" approach, or 15 years of house arrest and stress may have let her convince herself that a less intense approach is beneficial to all?

It's also possible that she's not going to play into the junta's hands by trying to foment revolution when the junta is as strong as it has ever been. Ms. Suu Kyi seems smart to me, and savvy, so she may well wait for a time when the junta is vulnerable to make a real play.

Related to Is Aung San Suu Kyi facing backlash for her silence on the Rakhine conflict?

1. Who is Aung San Suu Kyi and why was she released?

Aung San Suu Kyi is a Burmese politician and Nobel Peace Prize laureate who has been a prominent figure in the pro-democracy movement in Myanmar. She was released from house arrest in 2010 after spending nearly 15 years in detention for her political activism and opposition to the military junta in power at the time.

2. When was Aung San Suu Kyi released?

Aung San Suu Kyi was released from house arrest on November 13, 2010.

3. Has Aung San Suu Kyi been released before?

Yes, Aung San Suu Kyi has been released from detention multiple times, only to be placed under house arrest again. She was first released in 1995, then again in 2002 and 2010.

4. What led to Aung San Suu Kyi's release in 2010?

There were several factors that led to Aung San Suu Kyi's release in 2010, including pressure from the international community, the passing of a new constitution in Myanmar, and the country's desire to improve its image and relations with other countries.

5. Is Aung San Suu Kyi currently still free?

As of now, Aung San Suu Kyi is no longer under house arrest and is able to travel freely. However, she has faced numerous legal challenges and restrictions on her political activities since her release, including being barred from running for president in Myanmar's 2015 election. In February 2021, she was detained by the military in a coup d'état and is currently under house arrest once again.