1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is baby rudin a good first exposure to analysis?

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    hello. i am a freshman, and i will be taking an analysis (honors) course next quarter, and the textbook used will most likely be baby rudin. That will be my first exposure to the subject, although i did take an honors multivar calculus sequence last quarter that attempted to be more rigorous and formal than your typical calculus class. right now i'm taking an honors linear algebra (lower div) class which so far is below the level we treated calculus.

i've heard that rudin's book is hard and i feel like i might be unprepared for it. can i read something in advance so that i won't be struggling to keep up when the time comes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why don't you go to the library and search around in the analysis section? almost any book will be more readable than rudin. are you familiar with one variable calculus at the level of spivak? or apostol? try books by berberian, or george simmons, to name just two authors who try to be clear and not just as brief as possible like rudin.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most people don't think Rudin is easy enough to read, so I think it's a good idea to look for options. There are other threads about this, so you should start by doing a search.

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4
    well, the non honors analysis classes at my school uses ross. would that be a good book for starters?

the book we worked with for honors calculus is williamson/trotter multivariable mathematics

6. Jan 14, 2012 #5
    also, i took ap calculus in high school, so i did not have a "spivak level" single variable

7. Jan 14, 2012 #6
    ^ Then it'll be a good idea to get exposed to rigorous calculus proofs. Get a hold of Spivak's, Apostol's, or Courant's book and work through it. It'll pay off when you start baby Rudin, GUARANTEED.

Also, as an alternative to Rudin you might want to take a look at Pugh's "Real Mathematical Analysis"

8. Jan 15, 2012 #7
    This. Pugh's analysis book is incredible. He starts off fairly informal so it may feel like he lacks rigor, but it's all there.

9. Jan 15, 2012 #8
    other people have recommended abbott understanding analysis, what about that?

10. Jan 15, 2012 #9
    Ross is a very gentle introduction - well written, standard progression.

Abbott is about the same level but a bit more interesting (in my opinion). Still a gentle introduction (compared to Rudin), but more motivation than Ross for the central ideas of analysis. Either would give you a good intro, if you can find one at the library.

Rudin is more of a reference book than a textbook. The difficulty of your class will really depend on how good a professor you get and how fast the material is covered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook