1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is binomial distribution approriate

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    Suppose I have 6 die and toss them. The probability to have n 6's is binomially distributed with parameter 1/6.
    Now suppose instead tossing the 6 die and having 1/6 probability for a 6 each dice's probability to show 6 grows continously in the time interval t=0 to t from 0 to 1/6. Can I then say that as before, the probability to have n 6's is binomially distributed with parameter 1/6?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I know what you are trying to say, but let me re-word it first. You have 6 dice (not 'die'--a 'die' = one single cube). At any toss they each have the same probability p of showing a '6', but the probability p increases from 0 to 1/6 as we make more tosses. If ##p_k## is the probability of a die showing '6' on toss k, then the number ##N_k## of 6's on toss k is binomial with parameters ##(6,p_k)##. If we finally get a probability of 1/6 on the nth toss (that is, ##p_n = 1/6##), the total number of 6's altogether is ##X = \sum_{k=1}^{n} N_k##. This will NOT have a binomial distribution, because although the summands are independent, they are not identically distributed. In fact, you can easily work out the mean and variance of X and find that they are not related to each other as a binomial would give.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted