Is calc 1 more similar to calc 2 or calc 2 similar to calc 3

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of having a gap between math classes and the potential impact on retaining information. The two options presented are taking Calculus 1, then a gap before Calc 2 and 3, or filling the gap between Calc 1 and 2 and proceeding directly to Calc 3. The speaker notes the importance of filling the gap in order to not forget important information.
AMan24
I'm going to have a gap between math classes at some point. I can either take calc 1, then calc 2 the following semester, then have a semester gap with no math, and then calc 3.

Or calc 1, no math gap, calc 2, calc 3.

The reason I am asking is because i will forget some information in the gaps, but for example if calc 1 has nothing to do with calc 2, then i would have my gap between that.

So would it be better to have the gap between calc 1 and 2 or between 2 and 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fill the gaps because otherwise YOU WILL FORGET SOME INFORMATION. Take the gap of attending Calculus course work any time you want; but you will either need to review what you have studied or study ahead for the course in which you enroll after the gap.

AMan24 said:
if calc 1 has nothing to do with calc 2

Which is not the case at all!

1. Is Calc 1 more difficult than Calc 2?

The difficulty level of a math course can vary depending on a student's individual strengths and weaknesses. However, in general, Calc 1 is considered to be more difficult than Calc 2. This is because Calc 1 introduces fundamental concepts and techniques, while Calc 2 builds upon those concepts and introduces new topics.

2. Are the topics covered in Calc 2 similar to those in Calc 3?

Yes, there is some overlap in topics between Calc 2 and Calc 3. Some of the topics covered in Calc 2, such as integration techniques and series, are also covered in Calc 3. However, Calc 3 also introduces new topics such as multivariable calculus and vector calculus.

3. Is it necessary to take Calc 1 before Calc 2 and Calc 3?

Yes, it is recommended to take Calc 1 before moving on to Calc 2 and Calc 3. Calc 1 lays a strong foundation for understanding the concepts and techniques used in the higher level courses. It is also a prerequisite for most math and science majors.

4. Which of these three calculus courses is the most important?

All three calculus courses are important in their own way. Calc 1 introduces fundamental concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding higher level math courses. Calc 2 builds upon those concepts and introduces new topics, while Calc 3 applies those concepts to multivariable and vector calculus. Each course is important for building a strong understanding of calculus.

5. Is it possible to skip Calc 1 and start with Calc 2 or Calc 3?

It is not recommended to skip Calc 1 and start with Calc 2 or Calc 3. As mentioned before, Calc 1 lays the foundation for understanding the concepts and techniques used in the higher level courses. Without this foundation, it may be difficult to keep up with the material and fully understand the topics covered in Calc 2 and Calc 3.