Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Canada a cesspool filled with violent criminals?

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

There seems to be this assumption that Canada has a lower crime rate than the US, but I can't find any statistics to support that assumption.

In 2004, Canada had 946 violent crimes per 100k.

In that same year of 2004, USA had ~547 violent crimes per 100k (divide 1,648,100 by 301 million then multiply by 100k).

Canadians are twice as violent as Americans? Did I take the wrong stats or did I miscalculate something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take into account the number of crimes that go unreported (a greater percentage in denser inner cities) plus a difference in what constitutes "violet crimes," and I think you will find that Canada, like the US, is full of humans.

4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I thought the major difference touted was between murder rates, or at least gun-related murder rates.

Of course, I have no idea what those rates are for the respective countries and make no personal claim as to which is higher.

5. Jun 15, 2007 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Well I guess that one makes sense. That first link says Canada's rate is 2 per 100k. In 2002 the murder rate in USA was 6.1

6. Jun 15, 2007 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Jun 15, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too funny!!! There was an old SNL skit in which two Scotsmen would come to blows at the drop of a hat. And beyond that, we knew two Scotsmen who were twin brothers who would in fact fight over just about anything. Even at age sixty+ they were known to duke it out while rolling around in the dirt.

Aside: They were both sheep farmers, and one was well known as one of the nation's leading Border Collie trainers. He was absolutely amazing to watch working his dogs.

8. Jun 19, 2007 #7
    I fear more and more that Canada's "inferiority complex" will eventually cause an explosion of violent crime. I'm talking specifically about gangs and drug-dealing and skinheads and all these stupid "scenes."

Some of my friends are into these things and there seems to be this tacit "we can be harder and tougher" or "our ghettos can be just as bad" thing going on, which I find stupid and childish, but there it is.

9. Jun 19, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't get competition mentalities like these. Who would WANT the award for worst ghettos, seriously? It's like being proud you got the award for worst smelling individual. No one wants that!!!

10. Jun 19, 2007 #9
    I think it's a natural progression from counterculture that started with hippies in the 60s. They're just trying to out-non-conform eachother.

11. Jun 19, 2007 #10

Art

It's simply evolution at work. It's so bloody cold in Scotland they fight to keep warm. This has made aggression a desirable gene.

Plus of course they have to keep in practice for their next tilt at the English :biggrin:

12. Jun 19, 2007 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If it's not Scottish it's crap!

[​IMG]

13. Jun 19, 2007 #12
    it seems to only happen in T.O and maybe van(via TOstar anyways)
    I wonder if there are stats posted that shows percentage by city

14. Jun 19, 2007 #13
    Yep. It sounds ridiculous but it's just like that. Constantly trying to prove that you're more punk/ghetto/hardcore or whatever. It's funny when it's harmlessly ironic (like the goth kids from "Southpark" say: "If you want to be a non-conformist, you have to look like us, think like us, and listen to the same music we do" :biggrin:), but it's not so funny when it's dangerous.

I'm from hamilton and it's felt here. It's not as bad as the TV and newspapers say it is. I'm not concerned about how it is now, I'm concerned about where it could (and knowing human nature, probably will) end up. ... but Hamilton is in the TO area so I don't know about the rest of Canada.

Of course, being from Ontario, I just found out recently about the existance of this mysterious "rest of canada" :biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  15. Jun 19, 2007 #14
    Where's Ontario? Is that one of the American states or something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?