Is China's GDP Really As Large As Claimed?

• News
  • Thread starter CAC1001
  • Start date
mheslep
Gold Member
Anyone think China's economy will surpass the United States anytime soon?
At 8% for China, 2% for the US, in 2019 China will have a larger PPP GDP. While per capita equivalence is much, much farther out, there is no meaningful "per capita military capability", there's only "military capability" funded by revenues from the total GDP.

CAC1001
At 8% for China, 2% for the US, in 2019 China will have a larger PPP GDP.

This is assuming China continues to grow at 8% and the U.S. only at 2%. Hopefully at least America will recover to around 4% GDP growth.

While per capita equivalence is much, much farther out, there is no meaningful "per capita military capability", there's only "military capability" funded by revenues from the total GDP.

That's what I mean, if China has a GDP equal to America's or higher, then they can afford to spend more on their military right, irregardless of per capita GDP.

drankin
No one in the West buys Chinese-made, Chinese-brand automobiles yet, or Chinese-designed and made computers or electronics or appliances at the moment, and so forth. So what I was thinking is, could China's GDP numbers actually be inflated? Could their economy be appearing larger than what it actually is right now?

China considers Taiwan to be part of the Republic. Taiwan is an enormous supplier of electronics like cell phones and computer hardware to the West. Just take a quick look at where your motherboard came from. Good chance it is from Taiwan. With a quick search I didn't see any exact percentage of the total GDP Taiwan contributes, but I imagine it's significant and considered in their numbers.

CAC1001
China might consider Taiwan part of them, but I do not think Taiwan does. I think it would be rather wrong for China ot include Taiwan's GDP into their own right now.

drankin
China might consider Taiwan part of them, but I do not think Taiwan does. I think it would be rather wrong for China ot include Taiwan's GDP into their own right now.

I agree, but I'm sure they do.

I agree, but I'm sure they do.

It does sound about right for the gerontocracy currently in charge of, 'The Middle Kingdom'.