GDP and Well-Being: A More Comprehensive Measure of Economic Progress

• Thread starter finaquant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per
In summary: It's their right. I blame the fact that we in the developed world have just taken for granted that having a car is a right, rather than a privilege that we are able to give to a few.In summary, GDP is a poor measure for well-being because it ignores the production of the environment which is actually the primary producer of our planet. Additionally, GDP is often used as a measure for economic progress, but in reality it can often lead to wealth transfers from the average citizen to water companies.
finaquant
Hello all

Here is an article about GDP and well-being:
Well-being and GDP: why we need them both

The general idea is something like this: GDP is a fine measure for material wealth, but well-being needs more than just material wealth like social and environmental factors. So we need them both.

But GDP is a poor measure for even material wealth. The primary reason for this is, it ignores the production, technology and services of the environment which is actually the primary producer of our planet.

Consequently, if the production capacity of the environment is deteriorated due to some industrial activities, the adverse effects and destruction are not considered in GDP. Sometimes even worse; environmental deterioration may increase GDP while decreasing average well-being. Such negative developments are well documented in many countries that are fooled by GDP (GDP fetishism) as the primary indicator for economic progress.

As a model example, consider a country with abundant and sustainable clean water sources. Note that clean water is a produce of an intact fauna especially along the river beds, as the plants are best water purifiers (technology of nature). Clean water is everywhere, and nobody pays anything for water. Because a man-made water industry does not exist (filtering, bottling, marketing distribution etc.), the clean-water services of the nature won't be reflected in GDP.

If the plant fauna is destroyed by some industrial activities, clean water will become a scarce enough product to be sold for money, and a water industry will emerge for filtering, bottling and distribution. All the transactions of this industry will be recorded as GDP growth whereas the average citizen is much worse off than before. The ultimate outcome will be a wealth transfer from the average citizen to water companies. A few central water companies will be the winners, and the majority of the society will be the losers.

Replacing car traffic in a city (like in Munich) partially with bicycles is another good example for increased well-being accompanied by GDP reduction.

I have been observing the developments in the theory of economy in the last 20 years. Even the hard-core industrialist China (once totally ignoring the environment) is trying to adopt green accounting as a more balanced measure than GDP.

I wonder, why economists and universities are so slow in updating the outdated GDP as a measure for material wealth. There are still many governments with a one-sided focus on GDP.

Do the water companies have too much influence on the whole education system and the literature for economy?

Opinions?

Tunc

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting way of looking at natural resources is natural capital. For this resources are treated like any other capital and in some circumstances even have dollar figures attached to them. There are a myriad if extant and speculative measures other than GDP like HDI and the proposed gross national happiness index. IMO it's not that the world lacks efficient ways to measure societies but that GDP is incredibly overused.

Having actually lived in the third world for several years I think I should chime in on this:

I would say GDP per capita does do a reasonable job of measuring the material well being of the average person. A good comparison would be Shanghai and some inland villages. For a third world city Shanghai is fairly well developed, so much so that in some parts of it like People's Square and other areas in the Pudong district it's easy to forget that you're in a third world country. The average inland village, that is untouched by the level of economic development that Shanghai has experienced through industrialization, is quite literally dirt poor, despite depending on "the primary producer of the planet". Not surprisingly Shanghai's GDP per capita is substantially higher than that of the countryside.

Industrial development generates wealth, period. There have been countries that tried to mostly bypass it, like Costa Rica, but unless they have a big natural resources extraction sector it hasn't really ended well. It's easy to talk about "well being" not being counted when we have the material abundance in the first world as compared to the truly stunning poverty in non-industrialized nations.

And by the way, when I was overseas I did ride mass transit and my bicycle because I didn't have a choice. Once I'm able to get a car and a license, I'll never do that again. I don't blame the Chinese for wanting cars, not one bit.

1. What is GDP per capita and why is it important for measuring well-being?

GDP per capita is a measure of a country's economic output per person, calculated by dividing the total GDP (gross domestic product) of a country by its population. It is important for measuring well-being because it provides a general understanding of the economic prosperity of a nation and the standard of living of its citizens.

2. How is GDP per capita related to the overall well-being of a country?

GDP per capita is often used as an indicator of a country's overall well-being, but it is not the only factor. While a higher GDP per capita generally indicates a higher standard of living, it does not necessarily reflect other important aspects of well-being such as access to healthcare, education, and social support systems.

3. Can a country have a high GDP per capita but low levels of well-being?

Yes, a country can have a high GDP per capita but low levels of well-being. For example, a country may have a high GDP per capita due to a small, wealthy population, but this does not necessarily reflect the well-being of the majority of its citizens.

4. Why is it important to consider other factors besides GDP per capita when measuring well-being?

While GDP per capita is an important measure of economic prosperity, it does not take into account other important factors such as income inequality, environmental sustainability, and social well-being. Therefore, it is important to consider a variety of indicators when measuring overall well-being.

5. How does the concept of GDP per capita differ from the concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH)?

GDP per capita is a purely economic measure, while GNH takes into account a wider range of factors including psychological well-being, health, education, cultural diversity, and environmental sustainability. GNH also places a greater emphasis on sustainable development and the overall happiness and well-being of a nation's citizens, rather than just economic growth.