Is Convolution and Integration: A True Equality in Mathematics?

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about verifying the equality of two integrals and whether the theorem can also be applied to summation. The speaker also asks about the derivative of the convolution and points out that the result is a function, not just a real number. They continue to question the equality and ask for clarification.
Jhenrique
I was verifying that:

02cdb0955d8b54c21acde435bcc14991.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution#Integration

But, I'd like to know if this equality is true:
[tex]\int f(x)g(x)dx \overset{?}{=} \int f(x)dx \ast \int g(x)dx[/tex]

Subquestion: this theorem above can be applied in summation too?
[tex]\sum_{x}\left (f(x)\ast f(x) \right )\overset{?}{=}\left(\sum_{x} f(x)\right)\left (\sum_{x} g(x) \right )[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{x}f(x)g(x) \overset{?}{=} \sum_{x}f(x) \ast \sum_{x}g(x)[/tex]
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:

The easy way to check is differentiate both sides. What do you know about the derivative of the convolution.

Jhenrique said:

But ##\int f(x) dx## and ##\int g(x)dx## are just real numbers, no? What is the convolution of two numbers?

pwsnafu said:
The easy way to check is differentiate both sides. What do you know about the derivative of the convolution.

That:
a63515c305a187bb7a3e71570429c3dc.png

R136a1 said:
But ##\int f(x) dx## and ##\int g(x)dx## are just real numbers, no? What is the convolution of two numbers?

No! The result is a function!

pwsnafu said:

Results: f(x) g(x) = f(x) * ∫ g(x) dx

But, my ask remains! My as ask now is f(x) g(x) is equal to f(x) * ∫ g(x) dx ?

Last edited:

Related to Is Convolution and Integration: A True Equality in Mathematics?

1. What is convolution and integration?

Convolution and integration are mathematical operations that are used to combine two functions to produce a new function. Convolution is used to describe the relationship between two functions as one function is shifted over another, while integration is used to find the area under a curve.

2. How are convolution and integration used in science?

Convolution and integration are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are essential tools for analyzing data and solving complex mathematical problems.

3. What is the difference between convolution and integration?

The main difference between convolution and integration is that convolution is a type of mathematical operation that combines two functions, while integration is a mathematical operation that finds the area under a curve. Convolution involves multiplying and adding two functions, while integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function.

4. What are some real-world applications of convolution and integration?

Convolution and integration have many practical applications in the real world. Some examples include image and signal processing, data analysis, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of convolution and integration?

While convolution and integration are powerful mathematical tools, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not always be applicable to non-linear systems, and they can be computationally intensive for complex functions. It is important to carefully consider the context and assumptions when using these operations in scientific research.