Is entanglement severed by wave function collapse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entanglement and how it relates to superposition in quantum mechanics. The question at hand is whether measurement can destroy entanglement, and it is explained that under the collapse interpretation, it can. However, if the observer/measuring device is also treated quantum-mechanically, then a measurement involves even more entanglement. The results of actual experiments seem to indicate that entanglement is severed in this situation, but there are differing interpretations of this phenomenon.
FreeThinking
What has confused me for a long time is the interaction between superposition and entanglement. That is, what happens when one member of a pair of entangled particles passes through a filter that selects for an observable that is incompatible to the observable in which the pair is entangled?

Say we have a pair of particles entangled in some observable A, so that one is definitely in the state A+ and the other is definitely in the state A-, we just don't know yet which is which. Let one of those particles pass through a filter that collapses the wave function of the particle to a definite state of B, an observable incompatible to A, and that resulting B particle is then passed through an A filter that collapses the wave function to a definite state of A which we also do not yet know. Now we look at both particles, the one original and the one passed through the filters. What state pairs will we see for this pair of particles? Will we ever see ++ or --? If we do, then it would seem that collapsing the wave function to a definite state of B severs the entanglement in A between the first two, original particles.

My question is: Do the results of actual experiments indicate that the entanglement is severed in this situation or does it survive so that we still will only see +- & -+ state pairs?

Based on posts I've read, it seems that the entanglement will be severed but I'm just not sure I've correctly interpreted what I've read.

Physics news on Phys.org
FreeThinking said:
What has confused me for a long time is the interaction between superposition and entanglement. That is, what happens when one member of a pair of entangled particles passes through a filter that selects for an observable that is incompatible to the observable in which the pair is entangled?

Say we have a pair of particles entangled in some observable A, so that one is definitely in the state A+ and the other is definitely in the state A-, we just don't know yet which is which. Let one of those particles pass through a filter that collapses the wave function of the particle to a definite state of B, an observable incompatible to A, and that resulting B particle is then passed through an A filter that collapses the wave function to a definite state of A which we also do not yet know. Now we look at both particles, the one original and the one passed through the filters. What state pairs will we see for this pair of particles? Will we ever see ++ or --? If we do, then it would seem that collapsing the wave function to a definite state of B severs the entanglement in A between the first two, original particles.

My question is: Do the results of actual experiments indicate that the entanglement is severed in this situation or does it survive so that we still will only see +- & -+ state pairs?

Based on posts I've read, it seems that the entanglement will be severed but I'm just not sure I've correctly interpreted what I've read.

One technical meaning of entanglement is this: A composite system in a pure state is entangled if the state cannot be written as the product of the states of the components. The prototypical case is an electron/positron pair with total spin zero. The composite state (only considering spin) can be written as: [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|u\rangle |d\rangle - |d\rangle |u\rangle)[/itex], where [itex]|u\rangle |d\rangle[/itex] is the state in which the electron is spin-up in the z-direction, and the positron is spin-down, and [itex]|d\rangle |u\rangle[/itex] is the state in which the electron is spin-down and the positron is spin-up. The composite system is in a superposition of these two states. So it doesn't make any sense to talk about the state of the electron--it doesn't have a (pure) state, or the state of the positron. When two systems are entangled, there is a composite state, but there is no state for either system, separately.

Now, if you measure the spin of the electron, and find it to be spin-up, then you immediately know that the positron was spin-down. So after the measurement (in the collapse interpretation, anyway), the system would be described by the state [itex]|u\rangle |d\rangle[/itex]. That state is not entangled, because the electron and positron both have states.

It might not always be the case, but under the collapse interpretation of QM, measurement can destroy entanglement.

Likes FreeThinking
stevendaryl said:
It might not always be the case, but under the collapse interpretation of QM, measurement can destroy entanglement.

This description of things leaves out the state of the device (or person) who did the measurement. If you treat the observer/measuring device quantum-mechanically, as well, then a measurement involves even more entanglement: the state of the observer/measuring device becomes entangled with that of the system being measured. If you assume collapse, then the collapse destroys the entanglement (some people believe that there is no physical collapse, which means that in general, things just keep getting more and more entangled, until eventually everything is entangled with everything else).

Likes FreeThinking and mikeyork
FreeThinking said:

Say we have a pair of particles entangled in some observable A, so that one is definitely in the state A+ and the other is definitely in the state A-, we just don't know yet which is which. Let one of those particles pass through a filter that collapses the wave function of the particle to a definite state of B, an observable incompatible to A, and that resulting B particle is then passed through an A filter that collapses the wave function to a definite state of A which we also do not yet know. Now we look at both particles, the one original and the one passed through the filters. What state pairs will we see for this pair of particles? Will we ever see ++ or --?.

Sure. If you performed a non-commuting spin measurement, for example, there would no longer be a entangled state for the initial observable between the 2 original particles.

Likes FreeThinking
Thank you both very much for your responses. They are very helpful. I still have a lot to learn, but this seems to have cleared a few clouds out of the way. Thanks.

1. What is entanglement and what causes it?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This can occur when particles interact or are created together.

2. How does wave function collapse affect entanglement?

Wave function collapse is a concept in quantum mechanics where the act of observing a particle causes its wave function to collapse into a single state. This collapse can affect entanglement because it can change the state of one particle, which in turn affects the state of the entangled particle.

3. Is entanglement always severed by wave function collapse?

No, entanglement is not always severed by wave function collapse. It depends on the specific circumstances and the type of entanglement involved. In some cases, the entanglement may remain intact even after wave function collapse.

4. Can entanglement be measured or observed?

Entanglement itself cannot be directly measured or observed, but its effects can be observed through measurements of the entangled particles. This is because entanglement is a property of the particles themselves and not a physical observable quantity.

5. How is entanglement being studied and utilized in science?

Entanglement is being studied and utilized in many areas of science, including quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. Scientists are also using entanglement to better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and its potential applications in various fields.