Is ##\eta## Referring to the Minkowski Metric in Tensor Summation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sunrah
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tensors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
sunrah
Messages
191
Reaction score
22
sorry solved
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By ## \eta ## are you referring to the Minkowski metric? Also, I assume that only indices that appear once raised and once lowered are being summed over, so that ## \eta^{ii} ## is not to be summed, correct?
 
Geofleur said:
By ## \eta ## are you referring to the Minkowski metric? Also, I assume that only indices that appear once raised and once lowered are being summed over, so that ## \eta^{ii} ## is not to be summed, correct?

thanks, the issue was simply that sometimes I forget we are dealing with components and not whole vectors, matrices etc.