Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is everything binary on macroscopic level

1. Jul 26, 2018 #1
    Hello,
    is everything binary on macroscopic level ?
    I know on quantum level there are multiple states, instead of binary.
    I can't find any studies, it seems like everything is binary on macro level, light-dark, death-life...
    So what would be opposite of iron, or wood, for example ? I can't think of anything.
    Is there a proof that everything is binary on macroscopis level, or proof that would refute that isn't thanks.
    What i mean by macroscopic, i don't know exactly where macroscopis level starts for 100%, but i think larger than moleculer is considered macroscopic.
    Thanks for answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

The answer is no.

Just because we have words like hot/cold, that doesn't mean physics is binary. Confine your thoughts to the temperature example to keep it simple. Can't you imagine many more than two temperatures?

4. Jul 26, 2018 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Since you can't think of anything for those examples, then you cannot really say that everything seems like binary, can you? And you can't think of anything for a good reason, because there isn't any.

5. Jul 26, 2018 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

The two responses above pretty much say it all, so this thread is closed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook