Is Evo's New Move the Perfect Upgrade?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo is moving back to civilization and has decided to live in an apartment. He is excited about the move and the great things about it such as being nearer to his daughters and work. He is also excited about no one living above or below him and that everyone is welcome to visit.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yes, after 14 years in the PIT OF DOOM, Evo is moving back towards civilization.

The decision was made by my two daughters, The Child of Evo and The Spawn of Evo, although the Child of Evo did all the work. She scouted out apartment communities, went on tours and selected my new "home". She chose the unit, brought me an application, took it back and paid the deposit and now I have a move in date of July 21st. :bugeye:

I have never even seen the place I am moving into. She went through the model home, but by the time I went there, they had already rented it and I only got to see the smaller unit and a 2 bedroom (I'm getting the large one bedroom).

She said it doesn't have any of the things I hate about apartments, I'll be nearer to her, nearer to work and within walking distance of restaurants and stores. I have an attached garage.

Ok, I HATE the pit of doom, but standing in the kitchen just now with the cool breeze coming in through the kitchen window and looking out over my huge beautiful property, it's hard to let go. She's right though, I don't need a 4 bedroom, three bathroom home with formal and informal living and dining rooms. :cry:

So, here are all the GREAT THINGS about my new "apartment home" for me to get excited about. I have both floors, so there is no one living above or below me. Everyone help me convince myself that I'm doing the right thing. It's actually cheaper than where I live now and no more costly repairs to deal with, but still... <sniff> At least it's a place the girl's will enjoy visiting. And The Fruit Bat and Dr Foofer are welcome. :smile:

I should mention she selected the complex with the "lagoon with sand beach" instead of the "salt water swimming pool". Can someone tell me why you would have a "salt water" swimming pool?

Clubhouse
• Full Time 24 hour Concierge Services
• Valet Dry Cleaning
• State-of-the-art Fitness Center open 24/7
• Steam Rooms
• Tanning Beds
• Massage Therapy
• Private trainer on site
• Lockers and Shower Areas
• Coffee Shop
• Resident Business Center
• Computer Stations
• WiFi Access in Clubhouse
• Meeting/Party Rooms with Prep Kitchen
• Game Room with Billiards, Darts & Video Games
• Free DVD movie Library
• Elegant Lagoon with sand beach and Private Cabanas
• Sand Volley Ball courts
• Driving ranges
• Basketball Court
• Tennis Courts
• Car Wash
• Outdoor Dining and Cooking Areas
• Outdoor Loggia

• Attached Garage
• Study
• Library Niche
• Garden Tub
• Upgraded Appliances
• Built In Wine Cooler
• Laundry room w/Full Size Washer and Dryer
• Crown Molding/Wainscoting
• Hardwood Entryway
• Granite countertops
• Slate floors in kitchen and bathrooms
• Walk In Closets
• Built In Desk
• Enclosed Balcony
• 15' Ceilings
• Storage Space off Patio/Balcony

And they have social functions, so maybe I'd actually meet someone.

Here is a picture looking into the kitchen of the smaller one bedroom unit.

kitchensmallerunithn1.jpg

Living room

livingroom2np6.jpg

Clubhouse and lagoon

lagoonandclubhousein8.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd live in the PIT OF DOOM just for the namesake... oh wait, you just made that up didn't you?

Evo said:
Yes, after 14 years in the PIT OF DOOM, Evo is moving back towards civilization.
Congratulations and good luck with the move, Evo. The PIT OF DOOM sounds rather ominous, and probably best to move out of!

The apartment and the complex look awesome-- I'm sure you'll love it there once you get settled.
Can someone tell me why you would have a "salt water" swimming pool?
I'm not sure.. maybe because it's a bit easier to swim in?

Wow, can I move in with you? Oh, wait, it's just one bedroom. :frown: It looks really nice...as I was watching the thermometer hit about 94 today, I was really wishing I had a pool. I'm sure a lagoon would be just as nice. I'd have a hard time going all the way from 4 br to 1 br though. Did you sell the pit of doom? Regardless of what you think of the apartment, I'm sure you're finally glad to get out of the pit of doom! That place sounded awfully scary, especially with the weird storms that seemed overly attracted to that house. :bugeye: Are you planning on moving into a different house in time with the apartment as a temporary transition, or are you thinking of apartment life more permanently?

I know I want to move back to a house I own and have some land again...maybe next year if things go well...but there are also days when it's really nice knowing I'm not responsible for any major repairs if things break. And, it looks like there are very nice grounds at the apartment, so you won't really miss having a nice backyard to stroll around, especially since now you can actually stroll around and enjoy it rather than spending your time getting entangled in thorny weed things, or risking life and limb cutting down tree branches (no pun intended :redface:).

I wish there were places like that around here! That sounds ideal, with all sorts of things to do and enjoy aside from just the apartment.

Wow Evo that place looks amazing! Sounds more like a resort than an apartment complex, it has so many amenities! One thing I miss about living in an apartment is not having a yard, but it seens like this place has quite a bit of greenspace to walk around in. I really hope you like the place, it looks like it should be an alright place, and hopefully you have good neighbours.

Moonbear said:
Wow, can I move in with you? Oh, wait, it's just one bedroom. :frown:
I can get the two berdoom, it's 1,370 sq feet with two attached garages. :approve:

It looks really nice...as I was watching the thermometer hit about 94 today, I was really wishing I had a pool.
Dear god, buy a kiddie pool!

I'd have a hard time going all the way from 4 br to 1 br though.
This is hard, most of the furniture will go charity, I'm only ttaking things with the most sentmental value.

Did you sell the pit of doom?
No, the housing market has tanked and there are 4 homes for sale on my short street, some for over a year. The Evo Child talked her dad into taking over my house payments and fixing it up and holding it until it can sell for a decent price and then he's going to split the profit with me. (Not sure what the Evo Child put in his drink).

Regardless of what you think of the apartment, I'm sure you're finally glad to get out of the pit of doom! That place sounded awfully scary, especially with the weird storms that seemed overly attracted to that house. :bugeye:
Not to mention the mouintain lions. :bugeye:

Are you planning on moving into a different house in time with the apartment as a temporary transition, or are you thinking of apartment life more permanently?
I swore years ago that I would never live in an apartment again, but if I were to buy a home again it would have to be one of those communities that include maintenance. My current home takes two hours with a tractor to mow, another two - three hours to trim around the landscaping and fence, 1-2 hours of weed pulling, mulching, trimming bushes, fertilizing. I just don't have the time anymore, and I DON"T HAVE A MAN.

I know I want to move back to a house I own and have some land again...maybe next year if things go well...but there are also days when it's really nice knowing I'm not responsible for any major repairs if things break.
Yes, that's what the Evo Child said, "something breaks, I call and it gets fixed and costs me nothing".

And, it looks like there are very nice grounds at the apartment, so you won't really miss having a nice backyard to stroll around, especially since now you can actually stroll around and enjoy it rather than spending your time getting entangled in thorny weed things, or risking life and limb cutting down tree branches (no pun intended :redface:).
Oh yeah, there are parks and doggie parks. I could always carry a chainsaw with me, just in case, you know. :wink:

I wish there were places like that around here! That sounds ideal, with all sorts of things to do and enjoy aside from just the apartment.
Yeah, I'm trying to look on the positive side. I could use a personal trainer to help me work out. A masseuse would be nice. I plan to make a jungle out of my terrace.

Now PF members can come visit without being afraid of being stricken dead by freak storms and pumas. :biggrin:

Last edited:
scorpa said:
Wow Evo that place looks amazing! Sounds more like a resort than an apartment complex, it has so many amenities! One thing I miss about living in an apartment is not having a yard, but it seens like this place has quite a bit of greenspace to walk around in. I really hope you like the place, it looks like it should be an alright place, and hopefully you have good neighbours.
Thanks Scorpa, I think I will be ok there. At least the girls like it, so they'll visit more. Or visit the clubhouse. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
(Not sure what the Evo Child put in his drink).
:rofl:

I swore years ago that I would never live in an apartment again, but if I were to buy a home again it would have to be one of those communities that include maintenance.
I don't know if they have any like this near where you are (I haven't seen any in these parts, but I've seen them other areas I've lived), but "detached" condos always looked like a good option. They are like small, individual houses (or cottages I guess) rather than townhouses with shared walls. That way, you don't have to worry about hearing your neighbors through the walls, and you have your own small yard, but like other condos, all the outdoor maintenance is included as part of the condo association fees. (I'm probably going to just splurge on a landscaping service when I buy again...they don't seem to cost too much around here, and then I can enjoy my weekends rather than spend them doing all the yardwork).

Yeah, I'm trying to look on the positive side. I could use a personal trainer to help me work out. A masseuse would be nice. I plan to make a jungle out of my terrace.
Those are definitely positives! :biggrin: I think I could get addicted to getting massages if I had a masseuse at my beck and call. Scorpa's right, it sounds more like a resort than an apartment.

Now PF members can come visit without being afraid of being stricken dead by freak storms and pumas. :biggrin:
:biggrin: Of course they'd have to sleep in a hammock on the terrace. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Evo said:

When can I come over, I like mountain lions and pumas...

Good luck on the move...

Dr Transport said:
When can I come over, I like mountain lions and pumas...

Good luck on the move...
Thanks, it will be quite a change.

Moonbear, there is an 8,000 sq ' clubhouse with kitchen that we can use to party in!

This looks like a nice place. :approve:

Evo said:
I should mention she selected the complex with the "lagoon with sand beach" instead of the "salt water swimming pool". Can someone tell me why you would have a "salt water" swimming pool?
"Isotonic" salinity would make it much harder to drown in a pool; that would be a cool feature in a pool.

Cool, looks like a very nice place :approve:

I don't suppose you're moving to Northern California, are you? Doesn't look like it.

Wow, I've been in 3+ star restraunts that looked crappy compared to than that living/dining room. Very nice.

Congratulations Evo. It seems like the right move.

It seems like a pleasant and attractive place.

Evo said:
I'll be nearer to her, nearer to work and within walking distance of restaurants and stores.
That's great!

No yard work and less maintenance are major positives.

I hope you enjoy your new digs.

Can someone tell me why you would have a "salt water" swimming pool?
I imagine it cuts down on evaporation.

WooT! Congrats:smile:

Evo said:
It makes you feel you're swimming in sea!:tongue:

Evo said:
She's a hell negotiator after all!:approve:

*sigh* *sigh*

Lisa! said:
Evo said:

She's a hell negotiator after all!
Yes, she really is.

Lisa! said:
Evo said:
Not to mention the mouintain lions.

*sigh* *sigh*
We can still drive over to visit them. :tongue2:

Wow...that new place looks great. Good luck with the move!

I'm getting ready for a big move myself. After 30+ years in NYC, I'm heading to the burbs. The big problem is books--I have thousands. So we are renovating the basement (of my gf's house, where I'll be moving) to turn it into my library of the future. It will kick ass! Books as far as the eye can see--on shelves even, not just in stacks on the floor and every conceivable horizontal surface.

Doc Al said:
I'm getting ready for a big move myself. After 30+ years in NYC, I'm heading to the burbs. The big problem is books--I have thousands. So we are renovating the basement (of my gf's house, where I'll be moving) to turn it into my library of the future. It will kick ass! Books as far as the eye can see--on shelves even, not just in stacks on the floor and every conceivable horizontal surface.
Make sure that basement is dry and doesn't flood. In the past few years, we have seen periodic flooding in areas that normally don't flood. I am not sure which burbs, but there are several in NJ, CT and the Hudson Valley which have had significant flooding.

In our area, over a year ago, we had two periods a week apart in which our local area received over 10 inches of rain in three days, and many homes were flooded. Two months ago, we had flooding in homes that have never had flooding! That was after 5 inches of rain in one day on ground already saturated from previous rain.

Astronuc said:
Make sure that basement is dry and doesn't flood.
Good point. But after 15 years of rain, we haven't had a drop of flooding--the house is in a good location. Nonetheless, we'll be adding some waterproofing to the foundation as needed. And a dehumidifier.

Doc, that's great news about your move! Hopefully her basement will fare better than mine. I don't even want to think about all I lost.

:cry:

Jeez, where do you live that it has rained for 15 years straight? I couldn't handle that.

[was that too easy? meh, it's early]

Evo said:
I don't even want to think about all I lost.
If I lose my books I will pause briefly to say goodbye before I blow my brains out.

russ_watters said:
Jeez, where do you live that it has rained for 15 years straight?
Off and on. :wink:

Wow Evo, that place is nice! It looks MUCH more attractive than the disgusting dorm room I'm inhabiting for the next 9 weeks? :yuck: I HATE DORMS!:devil:

It took me about 2 months after I moved into a smaller place, to get use to it. I gave everyone a weeks time to come claim anything thing that was of importance to them.
The Salvation Army was happy to come pick up 3 bedroom sets, and many odd side chairs and tables.
After 2 years of living in the Condo, I found I missed my own property/garden, so I bought a very small house. I also still have a house in nothern Michigan, which I spend summers.
I'm sure you will love your new place, it looks lovely. Give yourself time to adjust, but mostly, just relax and enjoy it!

Evo said:

Perhaps it refers to an electrolytic form of chlorination. Salt is added to the pool and chlorine is slowly added by passing the pool water through an electrolytic unit. It is supposed to be cheaper (it's not) than chlorine tabs and makes the skin feel softer and the eyes less red.

Last edited:
It looks great Evo!

Moving IS a real pain but I'm sure that this will make life quite a bit easier for you. Even with the two of us, keeping up the property is more than a challenge - we gave up on catching up about ten years ago.

Wow, nice pics! I wish you good luck with all the joys of moving, Evo! :smile:

WOW EVO!

Best of luck! and btw, the home looks nice!

Good luck :smile:

wolram said:
Good luck :smile:
You're back!

Where've you been?

Hi, Evo.

My third regeneration took longer than i thought it would, i so missed you all but did not dare to make a post.

wolram said:
Hi, Evo.

My third regeneration took longer than i thought it would, i so missed you all but did not dare to make a post.
:bugeye:You mean like an alien lifeform regeneration? Did you shed?

And thanks, G01, hypatia, cyclovenum, radou and Ivan. I plan to utilize the fitness center. My excuse has always been having to drive somewhere and wait for the machine I want, now I have no excuse.

I hope you have checked this new place out for possible subsidence, earthquakes, tsunami, volcanic activity, hurricanes, tornadoes, deathwatch beetle, alien invasion.