Is Feynman the "wise guy" in Zee's QFT book?

In summary: There is also a diagram that is similar to the diagram in Zee's YouTube video at time 49:40 in the video.
apostolosdt
Zee, in his QFT in a nutshell, tells that beautiful story about a "wise guy" who, through his annoying questions to the professor, actually describes a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, essential to Feynman's approach to quantum phenomena (pp. 9 in Zee's). Now, Zee appears to imply that the "wise guy" is Feynman himself.

Just like most of you here, I have gone through various stories about Feynman, but I cannot recollect any passage referring to Feynman actually having said that. Is there anyone here in this forum that can clarify that point?

Science news on Phys.org
apostolosdt said:
Zee, in his QFT in a nutshell, tells that beautiful story about a "wise guy" who, through his annoying questions to the professor, actually describes a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, essential to Feynman's approach to quantum phenomena (pp. 9 in Zee's). Now, Zee appears to imply that the "wise guy" is Feynman himself.

I get the impression that this is a fictional story concocted by Zee for pedagogical purposes. On page 8, Zee starts the story with "Suddenly, a very bright student, let us call him Feynman, asked ..."

George Jones said:
I get the impression that this is a fictional story concocted by Zee for pedagogical purposes. On page 8, Zee starts the story with "Suddenly, a very bright student, let us call him Feynman, asked ..."
Well, yes, sure it's a fictional story told by Zee, I get that. But what bothers me is this. Did Feynman ever actually either write, or teach, or say, or simply imply such a colorful example of his "sum over histories" concept? And Zee only borrowed it and made it into a fictional story?

It was Feynman's doctoral thesis. Or am I missing something?

Likes malawi_glenn
I should have been more precise---apologies!

In Zee's story, the professor is explaining the double-slit experiment when the `wise guy' starts repeatedly asking about the cases with more than two holes on the screen and more than two screens, etc. until the student throws his `bomb': an infinite number of holes on the screens so that there are no screens anymore!

That remark sounds very much like real Feynman's. So, in my original post, I asked whether Zee invented the entire story, or Feynman himself somewhere mentioned that `infinite number, thus no screen' thing, and Zee turned it into a good story.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Check this out. Nice review,might help

Likes apostolosdt
Thank you very much hutchphd! That resolves the issue! It was after all Zee's idea. Thanks again.

Likes hutchphd
apostolosdt said:
So, in my original post, I asked whether Zee invented the entire story, or Feynman himself somewhere mentioned that `infinite number, thus no screen' thing, and Zee turned it into a good story.
apostolosdt said:
Thank you very much hutchphd! That resolves the issue! It was after all Zee's idea. Thanks again.

There's a book titled Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals by Feynman and Hibbs which was published in 1965. In the first chapter on pages 20 and 21, the authors discuss extending the double slit apparatus by adding more screens and more holes in the screens. I will quote a few sentences:

"Next, suppose we continue to drill holes in the screens D and E until there is nothing left of the screens."

After discussing this, they go on to say:

"Clearly, the next thing to do is to place more and more screens...and in each screen drill so many holes that there is nothing left. Throughout this process we continue to refine the definition of the path of the electron, until finally we arrive at the sensible idea that a path is merely height (x) as a particular function of distance (y), or x(y). We also continue to apply the principle of superposition, until we arrive at the integral over all paths of the amplitude for each path."

Also, on page 20 there is a diagram that is similar to the diagram in Zee's YouTube video at time 49:40 in the video.

Last edited:
Likes apostolosdt and hutchphd
TSny said:
There's a book titled Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals by Feynman and Hibbs which was published in 1965. In the first chapter on pages 20 and 21, the authors discuss extending the double slit apparatus by adding more screens and more holes in the screens. I will quote a few sentences:

"Next, suppose we continue to drill holes in the screens D and E until there is nothing left of the screens."

After discussing this, they go on to say:

"Clearly, the next thing to do is to place more and more screens...and in each screen drill so many holes that there is nothing left. Throughout this process we continue to refine the definition of the path of the electron, until finally we arrive at the sensible idea that a path is merely height (x) as a particular function of distance (y), or x(y). We also continue to apply the principle of superposition, until we arrive at the integral over all paths of the amplitude for each path."

Also, on page 20 there is a diagram that is similar to the diagram in Zee's YouTube video at time 49:40 in the video.
TSny, thank you so much! Although now the mystery deepens! (LOL) Was or wasn’t Zee aware of that passage? Feynman & Hobbs is a well known book, too well known to ignore. And my sarcasm extends to myself as well!

1. Who is Feynman in Zee's QFT book?

Feynman refers to Richard Feynman, a renowned theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. He is often referred to as the "wise guy" due to his unconventional and creative approach to problem-solving.

2. What is the significance of Feynman in Zee's QFT book?

Feynman's contributions to quantum field theory, particularly his diagrams and path integral formulation, have greatly influenced the development of the subject. In Zee's QFT book, Feynman's work is often referenced and used to explain complex concepts in a more intuitive manner.

3. How does Zee's QFT book portray Feynman?

Zee's QFT book portrays Feynman as a brilliant and unconventional physicist, who was able to simplify complex concepts and make significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. He is also depicted as a "wise guy" who approached problems with creativity and humor.

4. Is Feynman the only physicist mentioned in Zee's QFT book?

No, Zee's QFT book also mentions other prominent physicists such as Dirac, Heisenberg, and Schwinger. However, Feynman's contributions are highlighted and referenced more frequently due to their significance in the development of quantum field theory.

5. Can someone with no background in physics understand the references to Feynman in Zee's QFT book?

While some familiarity with physics and quantum mechanics may be helpful, Zee's QFT book does a good job of explaining Feynman's work in a clear and accessible manner. However, it may still be challenging for someone with no background in physics to fully grasp all the concepts and references to Feynman's work.