Is fluid dynamics a true physics subject?

In summary, the conversation discusses the scientific nature of fluid dynamics and its relationship to engineering. There is a debate over whether fluid dynamics is a purely scientific field or if it is heavily influenced by engineering principles. The Navier-Stokes equations are mentioned as a fundamental aspect of fluid dynamics, but solving them numerically is a challenging process due to the complexities of turbulence. The concept of collective behavior in fluids is also discussed, with some arguing that it is a fundamental aspect of the field while others believe it is limited to specific conditions. Overall, the conversation highlights the ongoing discussions and debates within the field of fluid dynamics.
An interesting quote from reading up on Confucius:

"To learn and from time to time to apply what one has learned, isn't that a pleasure? ... Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous. (Confucius, Analects)."

Maybe I'll get a good book on Physics Philosophy...for weekend reading only of course!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd just like to clarify that I'm not saying fluid dynamics is 'broken' but just wanted to support MagnetoBLI's initial impression (which has, subsequently been given more weight by Laughlin) that, currently, fluid dynamics does not conform to the 'physics' paradigm that is learnt/taught in universities (specifically undergraduate).

I do wonder if, perhaps, this was what physics used to be like. Maybe before quantum physics was formalised scientists thought the same way about quantum phenomena, similarly for other breakthroughs. If this is the case, then physicists should be happiest when this is the state of affairs as it offers the greatest opportunities.

MagnetoBLI said:
Are fundamental discoveries made in fluid dynamics currently, or is it just particular solutions based upon known fundamentals? From reviewing journal literature, it appears that either application based problems have been studied (engineering), or fluids under certain conditions that form a collective behavior (engineering-science). However I believe, much like plasma physics, collective behaviors themselves are not by definition fundamental and are understood through the application of known physics; therefore it is not pure physics.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.
A lot of the literature address applications, but there is plenty of theoretical work as well.

There is a huge effort in modeling and simulation (CFD) as experimental work - laser doppler anemometry and X-ray/gamma tomography for flow characterization. Both go together to better understand the physics of fluids from individual atoms/molecules to the ensemble. It's physics. Multi-phase flow is particularly complex and challenging, particularly at the transition from single to two-phase, and particularly where one has to model chemical species in the flow.

At the undergrad level, it's pretty simple theory. One only gets into the heavy stuff in grad school. And it's not just fluid dynamics, but conjugate heat transfer and fluid-structure interation. The ultimate goal is to develop an understanding of the fundamental physics and produce tools that provide a predictive capability. That requires a more mechanistic approach and less empiricism.

reasonableman said:
I'd just like to clarify that I'm not saying fluid dynamics is 'broken' but just wanted to support MagnetoBLI's initial impression (which has, subsequently been given more weight by Laughlin) that, currently, fluid dynamics does not conform to the 'physics' paradigm that is learnt/taught in universities (specifically undergraduate).

I do wonder if, perhaps, this was what physics used to be like. Maybe before quantum physics was formalised scientists thought the same way about quantum phenomena, similarly for other breakthroughs. If this is the case, then physicists should be happiest when this is the state of affairs as it offers the greatest opportunities.
What does one mean by 'physics' paradigm? Ensemble behavior is pretty fundamental - and rather difficult to get right on multiple scales.

chiro said:
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone can give some resources for CFD, in particular in relation to your own specific sub-area considering your own issues if you have them handy or in memory.

Getting a small insight into these intracacies has been very enlightening.

http://www.symscape.com/blog/origins-of-the-commercial-cfd-industry

POSSIBILITIES OF SIMULATION OF FLUID FLOWS USING THE MODERN CFD SOFTWARE TOOLS
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0409/0409104.pdf
Alexey N. Kochevsky
Research Scientist, Department of Applied Fluid Mechanics,
Sumy State University,
Rimsky-Korsakov str., 2, 40007, Sumy, Ukraine

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospe...tments/aeronautics/research/aerofluiddynamics

http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/msc/programme-information/guest-lectures/2010-2011/fluidity/

Akshai Runchal, PhD, ACRi, Inc.,
The Emergence of CFD at Imperial College: A Personal Perspective

A Lifetime of Turbulence & CFD: Frank H. Harlow, PhD,

B. L. Smith, Thermal-Hydraulics Laboratory, Nuclear Energy and Safety Department, PSI, CH-5232
Technical Meeting on Application of CFD for NPP Design and Safety Analysis
CFD Software Packages
Commercial
CFX originally developed by AEA Technology, Harwell, UK
- acquired by ANSYS Inc. in 2003
FLUENT originally developed by Creare Inc., USA, Sheffield Univ., UK and FDI, Chicago, USA
- acquired by ANSYS Inc. in 2006

STAR-CD originally developed at Imperial College, London, then by Computational Dynamics Ltd,
STAR-CCM+ marketed by the CD-ADAPCO group, France

PHOENICS originally developed at Imperial College, London, then by CHAM Ltd

Freeware
OpenFOAM originally developed at Imperial College, London, then by Nabla Ltd, but then made freely
available by OpenCFD in 2004. Unique feature: source code access (written in C++)

Others
NPHASE-CFD developed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Albany, NY
TRIO-U developed at CEA Grenoble, France
ACE-CFD+ marketed by ESI Group, France
There's still a lot work to do and challenges to overcome.

Fully integrated/coupled multi-physics is the grail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Astronuc: mucho gracias.

Astronuc said:
What does one mean by 'physics' paradigm? Ensemble behavior is pretty fundamental - and rather difficult to get right on multiple scales.

I will concede this is not well defined and is subjective, but the best explanation I can give is there are some fundamental laws or postulates that are applied to each problem. For example with statistical or quantum mechanics you learn some very powerful techniques that can be used on many problems. This does not seem to be the case for fluid dynamics.

Sorry Reasonableman, would you mind elaborating on your previous statement? How do they differ in there laws? I haven't studied these subjects, are you studying a physics currently? Cheers

To elaborate, in Fluid Mechanics the fundamental principles are conservation of momentum, mass and energy. The Navier-Stokes equations are derived from these principles, however they are usually too complex to solve. So, to reach solutions, further assumptions are made such as incompressibility, zero viscosity, etc. (the wikipedia page on fluid dynamics lists many of these). As a result there are a large number of sub-fields dealing with the particular assumptions in use, furthermore insight/solutions from one area, usually, do not help another area.

For statistical mechanics the fundamental idea is that if you can enumerate the possible states of a system you will be able to make predictions about what state you system will be in. This fundamental principle provides insight and allows a wide range of problems to be solved.

So the difference is, in Stat. Mech. some principles are learnt, these can then be applied to a range of problems (I believe this can be called a reductionist approach). In Fluid Dynamics, the basic principles do not provide much insight into solutions. I feel, in my education, I was taught a reductionist approach.

I am not currently at a university being taught physics (I completed a BSc 8 years ago), however I would say I am studying physics as it is (part of) my job!

I believe I am a reductionist by nature and this may be why I find engineering frustrating as rule-of-thumb/well defined methods are regularly used in problems. I believe that fluid dynamics relies heavily on emergentism and particular examples, therefore it's going to take some getting used to this approach. I wonder if a reductionist can be satisfied by this approach taken in fluid dynamics research..