Can applied physicists be CFD analysts

In summary, the individual is about to graduate with an aerospace engineering degree but is planning to pursue grad school in applied physics with a focus on plasma physics. They joined the aerospace degree because of their interest in CFD, but due to difficulties in finding internships or jobs as an international student, they have decided to pursue a different major. They are wondering if they can still become a CFD analyst after becoming an applied physicist. The answer is yes, as there are applied physicists working in CFD and the individual can always specialize on the job. They are planning to do their PhD in applied physics with a focus on fluid science and plasma physics, which they believe will help them in their desired CFD career.
HRishabh
I am about to graduate with an aerospace engineering degree. I am planning to go into grad school for Applied physics(probably plasma physics), which I find very interesting. But the main reason I joined the aerospace degree was because I was interested in CFD. But since I could't land any internships nor jobs(international student so companies don't hire even with good GPA and research) I have to plan to go to grad school but I didn't find any point in doing aerospace again( you it specializes you into a particular area but I can specialize into any sector pursuing another major, like harvard has applied physics which researches on fluid mechanics) . So here is my question will I still be able to become CFD analyst after I become a applied physicist?

Any answer will be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you study CFD in grad school you will be in much better shape than if you don't.

Short answer: yes. We have several applied) physicists working here in CFD.

A software package is just a tool and software is not hard to learn. It is much more important to learn what you want to model: you need to understand the physics of the system to know which parameters you can tweak. A programmer may know that you can tweak something, but doesn't necessarily realize whether or not it makes any sense in the physical world.
Aside from that, educations in any exact science field are more about learning a way of thinking than about factual knowledge (at least, up to and including M.Sc, PhD is a different matter).

Basically, if you are trained more broadly you can always specialize on the job. The other way around is much, much harder.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you study CFD in grad school you will be in much better shape than if you don't.
I am thinking about studying CFD but there are not any university that specifically focus on CFD in US(or I haven't heard of any). I think specializing in fluid sciences in Aerospace engineering is another way but for me its worthless cause I won't be able to work in defense sector( visa status problems). I think I will be doing my grad school in applied physics focusing my research on cfd analysis. Thank you!

Veneficus said:
Short answer: yes. We have several applied) physicists working here in CFD.

A software package is just a tool and software is not hard to learn. It is much more important to learn what you want to model: you need to understand the physics of the system to know which parameters you can tweak. A programmer may know that you can tweak something, but doesn't necessarily realize whether or not it makes any sense in the physical world.
Aside from that, educations in any exact science field are more about learning a way of thinking than about factual knowledge (at least, up to and including M.Sc, PhD is a different matter).

Basically, if you are trained more broadly you can always specialize on the job. The other way around is much, much harder.

I am planning to do my phd. I think I will try for applied physics focusing my research on fluid science and plasma physics. That might help me to get into a CFD specific career. Thank you!

1. Can applied physicists become CFD analysts?

Yes, applied physicists can become CFD analysts. In fact, many applied physicists have the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in this field.

2. What skills do applied physicists need to become CFD analysts?

To become a CFD analyst, applied physicists need to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. They also need to have a good understanding of fluid mechanics and numerical methods.

3. Is specialized training required to become a CFD analyst as an applied physicist?

While specialized training in CFD can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for applied physicists to become CFD analysts. Many of the required skills can be acquired through coursework and on-the-job training.

4. What career opportunities are available for applied physicists as CFD analysts?

Applied physicists with CFD skills can find employment in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and energy. They may work for research institutions, government agencies, or private companies.

5. Are there any specific tools or software that applied physicists need to know to become CFD analysts?

Applied physicists should have a strong understanding of CFD software, such as ANSYS, COMSOL, or OpenFOAM. They should also be familiar with programming languages commonly used in CFD, such as Fortran, C++, and Python.