Is Fracture Strength the Same as Fracture Toughness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BobGom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fracture Strength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 39K views
BobGom
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I am having difficult finding the meaning of the term 'fracture strength'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexural_strength" it means the flexural or bending strength but that is unsourced and marked as dubious. I was also wondering if it could be synonymous with fracture toughness or something else entirely. Unfortunately the paper I have come across gives no indication of it's meaning or even the units.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fracture strength isn't consistently defined, as you've seen. The most common definition I've seen for true fracture strength is the fracture load divided by the final cross-sectional area (see, for example, Hertzberg's Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials). It's measured in units of stress. It's definitely not synonymous with fracture toughness.